Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

monokote over solartex

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

monokote over solartex

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:40 PM
RC Stout
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monokote over solartex

if you use solartec fabric to cover a plane can you use monokote iron on film for a trim scheme? will it hold? any special tips or tricks?
Old 02-05-2006, 01:21 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: monokote over solartex

I've never tried it, but I'd think that the edges of the MonoKote wouldn't completely seal against the woven texture of the Solartex and it would begin to lift. Cover a piece of scrap balsa or lite ply with the Solartex, add a piece of MonoKote ver it, and see how it works. Maybe try some trim solvent at the edge to see if it seals.

If all else fails, paint the trim on the Solartex using regular latex house paint, and clearcoat it with LustreCote. Works great, I just finished re-covering a plane with Solartex and painted the details.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:20 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: monokote over solartex

Hi!
All the plastic film coverings (Monokote, Oracover and so on) are really easy to use over the Tex iron on coverings.
They adhere much better to Solartex and Oratex (same company as makes Oracover) than to any balsa surface...try it and you see how easy it is!
And the edges of the plastic film sits like being glued on.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden