Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

MONOKOTE?? WRINKLES!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

MONOKOTE?? WRINKLES!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:46 PM
RITTMEISTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MONOKOTE?? WRINKLES!!

I AM MONOKOTING A FOKKER V-7 FLAT BLACK FOR THE FUSELAGE. THE IRON SET AT 250 - 275 * I HAVE APPLIED 3 TIMES ALL THREE TIMES THE WRIKLES DID NOT COMPLETELY COME OUT. PLEASE ADVISE I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO ATTEMPT THE WINGS YET. 15 YEARS AGO I COVERED A PIPER CUB AND HAD NO ISSUES..... MAYBE THIS FLAT BLACK SAT ON THE SHELF TO LONG? I NEED HELP PLEASE THANKS DENNIS( LACOONASSDJCIII) IF I AM NOT EXPLAINING PROPERLY EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS.

NO MORE WRINKLES!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38850.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	403826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87658.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	403827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89657.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	403828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67560.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	403829  
Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM
carrellh

Default RE: MONOKOTE?? WRINKLES!!

From Tower Hobbies tech notes
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHV72&P=0
**Temperature Ranges: Flat MonoKote Uses a Higher Temperature to Apply.
Attaching to Wood: 240 - 275 degrees F (activating the glue)
Partial Shrinkage: 230 - 270 degrees F
Maximum Shrinkage: 270 - 350 degrees F

You need more heat to shrink out the wrinkles
Old 02-07-2006, 04:05 PM
RITTMEISTER

THANKS,
DOES THE SOCK ON THE IRON HAVE ANY AFFECT ON TEMP OR ACCITVATING GLUE? I HAD A LITTLE SUCCESS WITHOUT THE SOCK TILL I BURNED A HOLE 2 DIFFERENT TIMES.
DO YOU ONLY TACK THE PERIMETER OF THE FUSELAGE WOOD AND THEN SHRINK OR ALL SURFACE WOOD THEN SHRINK?/ DJCIII
Old 02-07-2006, 04:55 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I used to use MonoKote, I would turn my iron all the way up when using the sock. If you get too frustrated try UltraCoat. My first experience with it I covered my Midwest Mustang .60. I was able to cover the entire airplane without a wrinkle or bubble. I was able to one-piece wing tips and compound curves like never before. I'll never use Monokote again.
Good luck!
Unballanced.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Ladder21

I have had the best success without the sock. I tack the corners, then several points along the edges. Then, seal all the edges. When sealing the edges, I make sure to have the iron moving in the direction towards the outside of the area being covered. This will sort of pull the covering taut at the same time it is sticking. Finally, I shrink the middle area. Also, if you are trying to cover too big of an area with one piece, it is more difficult to avoid wrinkles. The more experience you get, the easier it will become. Don't give up.

Jay
Old 02-07-2006, 05:02 PM
RITTMEISTER

I AM ALL FOR IT!!!!(ULTRACOAT) ONLY I SPENT A LITTLE ON 3 ROLLS BLOOD RED, FLAT BLACK, AND WHITE. NEXT IN LINE WILL GET ULTRA!!! MAYBE EVEN ON THIS ONE IF IT DONT START TO SHAPE UP[>:] THANKS DJCIII
Old 02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of my UltraCoated Mustang.
Just try more heat with the MonoKote.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Ladder21

By the way, DJCIII:

Are you a cajun from Lousy-ana? I am from Bayou Blue, near Thibodaux...AAAAAyyyyEEEEEEE!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 PM
grumman-cats

well I must disagree with you guys. I've tried monokote (preferred), ultracote, towerkote, and now the flat monokote and I have had really good luck with a cooler temp on the flat and I find it to stretch considerably easier than straight monokote. If you have a heat gun just be patient, it will get that wrinkle out. just try and keep it away from the edge becouse it will pull so much that it will ruin a straight line. I'm sure you already know that monokote comes as big as its going to get under normal conditions so the tighter you can pull around the edges before you shrink it the less likely you will get wrinkles later.
good luck.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
RITTMEISTER

JAY,
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! AAYYYY--EEEEEE YAH! FROM DON DARE IN LOUISIANA HURRICUN BLOWED US OUT . NOW I,M DA ONLY COONASS IN DIS PARTA COLORADO. ANYHOW I AM A TRUE COONASS MY WIFE IS A CAJUN FROM LAFAYETTE. MY 6 KIDS ARE ALITTLE OF BOTH! WILL RETURN ONE DAY SOON. SOON AS WE CAN AFFORD IT. DJCIII
Old 02-08-2006, 08:40 AM
gunfighterII

I had the same problem covering my Goldberg Sukhoi.[>:]
Where did you get your monokote?
How old was it?
Try ordering a fresh roll from tower hobbies or somewhere you know it is fresh, I've discovered that monokote does not have a eternal life span, the old stuff laying around just does not adhere and then you overheat to get it to stretch and you end up with permanent wrinkles. It worked for me
Old 02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
gunfighterII

I forgot to mention in my PM, is that you need to get a heat gun and be less reliant on the iron, only use the iron to tack the corners and edges loosely, then go over with the heat gun, you will eliminate all the iron marks that the sock helps to prevent, try it you'll like it, just be careful and keep the gun far enough away so as not to burn.[:@]
Old 02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
gunfighterII

I just noticed your from Longmont, take a trip up to Greeley and go to either of two hobby stores, Things with Wings 6268 W 10th st #2 and talk to Jim, best hobby store around, spent alot of money there, or go to Don's Hobbies which is downtown, another fabulous hobby store, you are blessed to be that close to 2 hobby stores I would love to have in Lincoln. I've done alot of flying at Love air and the field at Longmont, it's quite a change to fly at 5,000 ft when your used to 1000ft.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
RITTMEISTER

BOY YOU ARENT LYING!!! I AM USED TO FLYING IN LOUISIANA WHERE PLANES FLY SO GOOD SOMETIMES THEY JUST FLY AWAY!! HERE THOUGH YOU HAVE TO BEG THE PLANES TO FLY AND STAY UP!! NOT TO MENTION BUILDING THEM LIGHTER THAN AIR?! I AM USED TO BUILDING TO STAND THE TEST OF TIME ..... AND CRAZY LANDINGS NOT TO FLY AT HIGH ALTITUDE[:-] LONGMONTS COOL BUT NO PLACE LIKE HOME.........FISHING HUNTING..........FISHING HUNTING......LOUISIANA YOU KILL AND BRING IT OUT OF THE WOODS WITH NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT BUT SNAKES[:@] HERE YOU HAVE TO RUN OUTTA THE WOODS WITH YOUR GAME WHILE A BEAR AND A MOUNTAIN LION ON YOUR TAIL HAVING OTHER IDEAS[X(] THATS NOT HUNTING TO ME THATS SUICIDE AND FISHING IN STOCKED LAKES[:-] I MISS THE RIVERS AND BAYOU'S AND SWAMPS...... THERE IS NO INSECTS HERE EITHER ESPECIALLY AT NITE... ITS VERY QUITE NO NOISES IF THE BUGS DONT LIKE IT HERE THERE IS A REASON LOL !!!! DJCIII
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 PM
gunfighterII

HA HA I've left 2 airplanes in the garbage can in Colorado due to the altitude, it affects your golf game just as bad, the greatest thing about flying in Colorado is the lack of humidity, which I'm sure your familiar with! No rust in engines, no after run oil, just no air to fly with![&o] Let me know about your trip to TWW.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:12 PM
RITTMEISTER

LMAO!!!! I ALSO HAVE 4 PLANES IN THE PARTS PILE DUE TO THE THIN AIR ..... NOTHING TO DO WITH MY FLYING ABILITY OF COURSE DJCIII
Old 02-08-2006, 02:38 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Fifteen years ago Monokote was great. I started having problems over a year ago, when all the heat in the world wouldn't shrink the white. I use nothing but Ultra Cote now and I love the way it goes on. Wouldn't even try Monokote again if it was free.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
RITTMEISTER

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO!! IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN THIS THE OTHER DAY I CANNOT AFFORD TO REPLACE SOO..... I WILL FLY A WRINKLY FOKKER MAYBE NOT THE HEAT GUN IS WORKING SATISFACTORY. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY THE LAST MODEL I COVERED WAS 1992 AND IT WAS A PIPER CUB WHITE NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER! DJCIII
Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 AM
gunfighterII

Yes, your observation on Monokote is quite correct, it seemed years ago it was alot better to work with, apparently they made a few changes to the formula, maybe we could get a expert here to answer these questions. As for Ultra Cote, I've never covered a complete model with it but have 3 ARF's covered with it. It is much better than Monokote to make repairs, as it seems to stick much better to itself, cheaper too, where Monokote you almost have to use trim sheets to make a repair, with that said, I still think a well done Monokote job outclasses all others, I'm finding myself constantly reheating my Arf's to take the wrinkles out. I still think that you must not buy any covering that's been laying around your local hobby shop for 15 years, this is especially true now with all the ARF"S.