Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What do you use to TINT your CANOPY?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What do you use to TINT your CANOPY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 AM
SaCCaL72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use to TINT your CANOPY?

What products are out there for tinting your canopy? In everyone's experience, which do you feel provides the best results, which is easiest to uese? Thanks in advance...
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What do you use to TINT your CANOPY?

I get the best results from Rit Dye.

It doesn't work on ALL plastic canopies. but it works on most and it looks great!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:05 AM
SaCCaL72

Where can you purchase Rit Dye and how do you know if it will work on your canopy?

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I get the best results from Rit Dye.

It doesn't work on ALL plastic canopies. but it works on most and it looks great!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 AM
2slow2matter

Buy it at Wal-mart, or any other retail store. Test it on a piece that you trimmed off. Get the rit dye into some warm water--not boiling, but hot, and put it in, swish it around, and then rinse it off with cold, running water. Keep doing this until you get the darkness desired. The swishing is important, or you will get uneven tinting.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:03 AM
SaCCaL72

Thanks for your responses. What about if the canopy is already attached to the plane and can't be removed, are there any products for these types? Thanks again...
Old 02-13-2006, 02:30 PM
2slow2matter

Tape it off, and spray paint it. That is all I know to do. That wouldn't be tinted, though, that would be blacked out.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:45 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can't remove it, you're kinda screwed.

There are tint paints available, but you want to spray those on the INside. If you spray the outside, they can scratch off (They may not even be fuel-proof) and will look terrible after a few weeks.

I guess you could try soaking a rag in Rit Dye and wiping it on. It should work, but I don't know how WELL it will work - PS. Wear Gloves
Old 02-14-2006, 09:23 AM
SaCCaL72

Thanks, I will try the Rit Dye for the canopy I can remove, as for the other, I am not sure what I am going to do. Hmmmm... Thanks for your help.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Found this a while back in another thread... sadly I forgot to note the original author....

has worked well for me...
doesn't work on all plastics...but seems pretty good...

the key is make sure the temp is as close to 140 as possible, and have patience... I let mine sit overnight....

I try to keep the temp at 140 for the first 1/2 hour or so.......
then just let it go....

10 Steps to Tinting Canopy Bliss

This method works with Lexan canopies using Tintex or Ritt fabric dyes.

1. Clean your canopy with warm water and mild soap, rinse thoroughly.

Note: Avoid touching the canopy, oils from your fingers may affect the tinting (use rubber gloves).

3. Find a container larger than your canopy, preferably something you don't intend to use again.

4. Use hot water (140°F), and fill your container to a depth one (1) inch above the canopy.

5. Add 1 cup of vinegar for each gallon of water used.

6. Mix in two parts of black dye and one part of Royal Blue dye thoroughly, there should be no clumps.
(Note: This combination will produce a smoked tint. You could also use straight Black or any other color desired.
I used 3 total packs of dye in a 10 Gallon plastic garabage can. Perhaps I should have used more dye to reduce
the total time needed to get the right level of tint.)

7. Depending on the tint desired this process could take anywhere from 20 minutes up to 12 hours.

8. Once your canopy has reached the desired tint, remove and rinse with cold water.

9. Now marvel at that spectacular tinted canopy, and giggle at how cheap and easy it was to do.

10. Now say to yourself … Damn I’m Good!

I did try and maintain the water temp for a couple of hours, but then just kind of left it alone. The other point to make is I prefer a rather dark tint. You may not and others have reported adequate tinting in as little as 20 minutes. This is certainly not an exact science as their are a large number of variables. You just have to work at it until you get what you want. I believe the trick to avoid any chance of warping is to avoid water temp over 140°F and dye the canopy before you trim in any way.