Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

UltraCote Paint and Fiberglassed Surface

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

UltraCote Paint and Fiberglassed Surface

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:21 PM
JAkridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UltraCote Paint and Fiberglassed Surface

This has more than likely been asked a million times, But here go's. I just finished fiberglassing a set of floats and I wanted to try the UltraCote to match the covering on the plane. I'm not as much worryed about the color match as I am the paint cureing and not bubbleing up or doing anything else strange. I used UltraCote once on a glassed cowl awhile ago and it never did cure all the way. It stayed wet for ever and as soon as the glow fuel got to it, it just wiped off.
I put a lot of time into this plane and I don't want it coming out "Jacked" up because of trying to use this raddle can paint. What luck have you guys had?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:44 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: UltraCote Paint and Fiberglassed Surface

I just used regular Ultracote on the plastic parts. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3709868]See here.[/link]
Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made some pants and a cowl last year using FG and True Red Ultracote covering and paint. I was very pleased with the outcome. [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23982.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	408228  
Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 PM
JAkridge

Vicman, You do nice work for such a young guy .

krossk, I have seen some of your covering.[sm=thumbup.gif].

You know I covered my last 2 sets with Ultracote covering and they came out real nice. I guess I could just cover these too. The thing is with floats a tad of dirt-sand with water starts getting under a little tiny piece then it starts comeing up, and the rubbing on the sand-dirt beach surface doesn't help any either. I don't know???? I hate to spend 80 bucks on a special mixed to match auto paint. And I would really hate to have the Ultracote paint job turn sour on me. Ummmm[&o]
Old 02-14-2006, 08:09 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

In that case, why not cover them with the matching ultracote and then spray them with a durable clear finish - perhaps Clear ultracote or automotive polyurethane? (Just be sure to use the proper respirator - that poly-U is some nasty stuff)
Old 02-14-2006, 09:08 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you got pretty good options here. I like the clearcoat too if you are running up into the sand on the beach regardless of what you do.