Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

batteries with s connectors

Old 02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
blending
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default batteries with s connectors

i have been bought 5- 1400 mah batteries all saying on the label 1400 mah with futaba j connectors.
all were installed in different planes. no problem with the first four batteries. it was when i was installing the fifth
battery with an extension. as soon as i plugged it in it went to smoking and melting the wire insulation all the way back through24 inches of wire. good thing i did not have it mounted inside the plane. the last battery had the new s-universal connector even though
the bag label said it had a futaba j connector.
i know the s connecter can be plugged in either way without damage. went back to lhs and we checked and sure enough all but one was labeled wrong. he said i was not the first to have this problem.
my question since i can plug the battery connector either way with the s-connector would this cause the battery to short?
this could have been real serious in a hurry if an actual fire had started.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:19 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: batteries with s connectors

sounds like something shorted. Make sure you had positve to positive. Ive done that a few times assembling RC car packs when i back into racing.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: batteries with s connectors

The Hitec S, the Airtronics Z, the JR and the Futaba J all use the same wiring polarity with a center pin positive. The Hitec, Airtronics and JR can all be forced on reversed (and the Futaba if the flange is removed). If any of these battery plugs are connected to the typical two conductor switch harness reversed then this will result in an incomplete open circuit, it cannot fry anything.

There is something else happening in your case. Obviously you received one pack with the wrong plug but that in itself will not be a problem (Hitec S plug into a Futaba J switch harness will work fine. Something else is shorted or possibly the plug that fried actually had the pins improperly installed in the plug body i. e. crossed at the factory.

John