Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hinge slotting for CA hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hinge slotting for CA hinges

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 02:09 AM
GarryM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinge slotting for CA hinges

I have read the tutorial by MinnFlyer on installing CA hinges but I have one question about cutting the hinge slots.
I ordered the Dubro slotting tool a while ago and noticed that the blade is noticeably thicker than a #11 blade. Does this blade create a suitable slot or is it too "thick" for the CA hinges?

Also, this site is an awesome source of RC information. I have learned an incredible amount in the past month. Thanks to everyone who contributes. I hope I can get to the point where I can start to contribute myself.

GarryM
Old 12-03-2002, 02:33 AM
Steve Guinn

The Slot Machine has 2 blade sizes. 1 for CA and 1 for nylon.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:41 AM
paero-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default CA Hinges

I think he's talking about the Dubro hinge tool not the Hobbico "slot machine". I think the Dubro tool IS too big. It sure is a lot bigger than the number 11 blade.

Personally, I went to a machine shop supply house and bought a 2" x 0.010" saw blade, mounted it on an arbor. I use this in my drill press. Lock the height and feed the surfaces into it. Centers things every time.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:24 AM
Dsegal

Buy the Higley hinge slotting tool. Follow the directions and make life simple. BTW it uses #11 blades. I threw the DuBro tool in the trash.

Dave Segal
Old 12-03-2002, 04:39 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

I use the Great Planes Slot Machine and absolutely love this thing. It makes cutting slots for hinges a real breeze and extremely fast. I wouldn't use anything else now.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:17 PM
GarryM

Thanks for the advice.

I would like to have a GP slotting machine but I find the $50CDN a bit steep. I have a few other tools that are higher on my priority list at the moment.

Think I will check out the Higley tool. Judging from the pictures on the Tower Hobbies site it appears that the two aluminum plates clamp the #11 blade(s) between them. I assume that you support the material to be slotted horizontally at the correct height and slide the tool (plates & blade(s)) into the material and slide it along. Sounds like a good system.

Garry
Old 12-03-2002, 06:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Garry, worse come to worse, just use a #11 blade, and save your pennies for those other tools you need. (and don't forget to ask Santa for a GP Slot Machine) I didn't want to endorse a product in the "How To" column, but that's what I use. If I didn't have one, I would just use an exacto knife with a #11 blade.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Du-Bro tool is great for Du-Bro pinned hinges. I don't think it was intended to be used for CA hinges.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:24 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The #11 works well, just watch so you don't slip and cut yourself. I liked the great planes hinge slotter so well I ordered a second one just in case that one breaks. It is the coolest tool that they came out with.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:35 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Do yourself a favor and pop for the GP Slot Machine!!
It is the WHIP!! If you ever plan on building another plane, it will pay for itself in saved frustration (no, I don't work for the company either). There is no other way to get such a perfect slot for CA hinges. If you get one, practice on some scrap balsa first.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:44 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2nd or 3rd that

Get the GP Slot Machine. I have the corded version and it cuts each slot in about 7 seconds. I first made a centering line and then use the little alignment tool that GP makes. After I cut the slots in the Wing (for example) I repeat the process on the aileron. Make sure you align the tool in the same orientation as the wing and it will come out perfect every time. I have used it for CA and GP Pinned hinges and it worked great for both of them. It hurt to pay the $35 I spent for a tool that only does one thing but I almost look forward to this step now. Whereas, I used to dread cutting hinge slots before.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:36 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

make sure to buy the slotting jig when you get the slot machine. trying to use one without it is tough. easy as pie with it. To me there would be very few tools more important, except a razor saw and #11 blades
Old 12-05-2002, 08:57 PM
GarryM

Thanks for all the tips. :thumbup:

Think I will arrange for St. Nick to leave a GP slotting machine under the tree.

Garry
Old 12-10-2002, 07:20 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Where may I find the tutorial by Minnflyer on installing CA hinges?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Steve Guinn

Click on RCUniverse at the top of this page. Scroll down the log in page and you will see it.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:00 AM
art43

Default GP SlOTTING MACH.

From Tower, slotting mach. $30.00, guide tool $4.00
Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Hinge slotting for CA hinges

Old thread, but I purchased a Great Planes Hinge Slot Machine. Wow, I wish I thought of this years ago. Slotted the all the tail sections of my Kraftkit 4 Season 40 in a matter of minutes, cleanly.