Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Programmable Crystals

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Programmable Crystals

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:45 AM
PlaneHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmable Crystals

Wouldnt it be good to have programmable crystals, you could connect to a computer and program a username and password into the Crystals, so only commands from your radio would operate, even if someone else was on the same frequency.

I have just got back into RC after 25 years, and PCM, failsafe, programmable radios are great.
I crashed 2 models in the past from someone turning on their Tx without the peg.

Anyone heard of any possible developments in this area.

Caliber 83
Old 02-25-2006, 05:58 AM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Programmable Crystals

Haven't you seen the new synthesized radios and modules they have out now? Futaba's 14 channel for example. It can change channels right from the transmitter without changing crystals. I have a synth transmitter module for my JR XP8103. Just dial the channel you want, then turn on the transmitter. I change it for the receiver I'm using at the time, plus I simply change crystals in the receivers if needed.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:36 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I don't think he was talking about synthesized frequencies. I believe he was talking about being able to have a receiver that would listen to his and only his transmitter. Isn't this what's happening with the spread spectrum radios that are slowly evolving?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:15 PM
ArCeeFlyer

Oops. My bad. My focus starts to drift when I stay up too late. I wonder how well such receivers would see it's own carrier with many other same carriers hitting it at the same time, plus the potential heterodyning creating phantom frequencies. Can they filter that well? Sure would be the next best thing since PCM and narrow band. No more frequency control boards or worries. Just switch on an fly.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:39 AM
PlaneHeli

Piper,

Thanks for the reply about spread spectrum, I guess its along the lines im thinking, but would be good to be even more practicle.
Great to have a Computer USB device, plug it into your computer, plug your crystal in the device, and with provided computer software, enter username and password so your reciever crystals will accept signals ONLY from your tx crystal.

I note in some of the articles this spread spectrum has been around since the second world war so its not exactly progressing that quickly, and would be decades away to have anything as simple as im suggesting available to rc modelling.

Cheers Caliber 83
Old 03-05-2006, 01:46 AM
sscherin

Well the Spektrum radios do do what you are thinking of but not in a programable way..

The TX has a unique GUID.. (no other Tx will have it)

When you bond the Rx to the Tx the Rx will only listen to a Tx that uses that GUID..

Not that that would be much help if someone stomped on both your frequencys (highly unlikley)
Old 03-05-2006, 08:31 AM
PlaneHeli

sscherin

What do you mean by GUID, and how do you bond the Tx and Rx crystals so the Rx only recieve signals from your Tx.

Do YOU bond them, or are they already bonded as a pair when you buy them.

Are they available in the USA now and are RC modellers using them now, or is it still way in the future.

Cheers Cal83

Old 11-05-2006, 08:27 PM
PlaneHeli

Looks like Ill have to eat my words.

A new Spread Specktrum for unlimited RC models (not just park flyers) has recently been released.

This technology is better than what I suggested as no programming is required.

Just have to wait until Futaba produces one.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:48 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

good news...Hitec has both synthesized transmitters and receivers. I am using one of the transmitters, the edlipse, but not receiver at this time. they are relatively new and as I have about 4 crystal receivers can't see buying another. have crystals for all and a spare on channel 59. few at our field on this channel.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer