Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Muffler design for 'scale' sound?

Old 02-25-2006, 08:25 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Muffler design for 'scale' sound?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any work that has been done to get a more scale sound out of our engines. I'm building my own for an ST G4500 for my Ziroli Stuka to keep from cutting holes in the cowl. I'm using a 1" x 2'' piece of aluminum about 6" long fed by two 3/8" tubes, to keep the chamber thin and long, and within the cowl. I want to try to build some scale 'JTec' looking exhausts exiting in the proper location. One of the guys in my club flew his new warbird this summer that had the best sound I've heard, though I don't know what engine/muffler combo he used- had that low gutteral sound in the air. My ST currently has a Bison for running the engine in and has a nice "Harley" sound at low rpm's but sounds typical 2 stroke when it rev's up. Any thoughts out there on this subject? Bill
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Muffler design for 'scale' sound?

While I don't know if he makes one for the motor you mentioned, you might want to check out [link=http://www.keleo-creations.com]Keleo Creations[/link] , he does some outstanding work with making scale mufflers for our engines. I recently did a review of a Hanger 9 P-40 with a Saito 100 for power on it, and I used his muffler that he made specifically for that application. I only have one thing to say about it. COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds so cool you just can't imagine it. You have to hear and see it to believe it (I should have video ready in about a week or so). Since these mufflers are almost scale replicas of the original exhaust they go a long way towards sounding scale.

While he may not have the exact muffler for you motor right now, give Kelvin a call and talk to him. I spent quite a bit of time with him on the phone while I was doing the review and I found him to be nothing if not helpful. He's a pretty laid back and cool guy who starting doing these mufflers because he wanted a job he could really enjoy. Give him a call and talk to him about what you want and he will more than likely do all he can to help you out.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 02-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wsmalley

One of the guys in my club flew his new warbird this summer that had the best sound I've heard, though I don't know what engine/muffler combo he used- had that low gutteral sound in the air.
Low guttural sound = 4-stroke glow or huge gasser with Pitts muffler.

I bet a 4-stroke gas engine would sound very nice.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
iaclmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Four strokes do sound cool. Wish there was a way to make them LOUDER!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More and more air fields are being closed due to noise regulations. Are you sure you want them louder? You can always remove the muffler and run a straight pipe.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:48 PM
iaclmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Richard!!!

yea .. I know it sounds strange wanting a four stroke to be louder. But there is just someting about that sound on a GeeBee "Y" model or a Wendell racer model that sounds so sweet. Fortuantely I live in a very small town (2000 people) and we fly out on an abandonend town airfield. There is nothing around the place except corn and bean fields!!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Novato
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken any word on the video?

ORIGINAL: RCKen

While I don't know if he makes one for the motor you mentioned, you might want to check out [link=http://www.keleo-creations.com]Keleo Creations[/link] , he does some outstanding work with making scale mufflers for our engines. I recently did a review of a Hanger 9 P-40 with a Saito 100 for power on it, and I used his muffler that he made specifically for that application. I only have one thing to say about it. COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds so cool you just can't imagine it. You have to hear and see it to believe it (I should have video ready in about a week or so). Since these mufflers are almost scale replicas of the original exhaust they go a long way towards sounding scale.

While he may not have the exact muffler for you motor right now, give Kelvin a call and talk to him. I spent quite a bit of time with him on the phone while I was doing the review and I found him to be nothing if not helpful. He's a pretty laid back and cool guy who starting doing these mufflers because he wanted a job he could really enjoy. Give him a call and talk to him about what you want and he will more than likely do all he can to help you out.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
flipstart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On my Albatros, powered by a Saito 91, used a 90 degree fitting with straight brass pipe out bottom of cowl. Experimented with various lengths for sound variations. Finally crimped the end some for more pressure and got an awesome sound. No muffler just the straight pipe-not bad for starters. Brass or copper seems to work much better than the aluminum accordian type that some mfgs carry.

Currently have OS 160 FX on Nieuport 28 with Bisson Muffler, sounds good at low rpm but on high revs goes back to the whiney 2 stroke sound-working on the problem but no banana yet. Will keep you posted-do have some longer brass pipes installed but have not fired it up yet. Anyone else got any ideas on 2 strokes?? 4 strokes seem to be fairly easy-
Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Novato,
The review has been submitted to RCU. I'm just waiting for it to be posted in the RCU magazine. I've got video there of the flight. Keep an eye out in the magazine for it.

Ken
Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 PM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: flipstart

On my Albatros, powered by a Saito 91, used a 90 degree fitting with straight brass pipe out bottom of cowl. Experimented with various lengths for sound variations. Finally crimped the end some for more pressure and got an awesome sound. No muffler just the straight pipe-not bad for starters. Brass or copper seems to work much better than the aluminum accordian type that some mfgs carry.

How are you doing the pressure tap? Just into the header, or are you using a pump?
Mike
Old 06-10-2006, 11:42 PM
flipstart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike-I just put the pressure tap about 3" down from the 90 degree fitting - into the brass pipe-I ran the engine on a test stand with piece of fuel tubing in a bottle of water to check amount of pressure the "pipe" was supplying. I crimped the brass pipe until I got a good steady stream of bubbles. Not real scientific but it works. Also got the "pop pop" sound I was looking for. Sounds good-surprised that this simple muffler system is not any louder than with supplied muffler. But that is with a 4 stroke, a 2 stroke is another matter.