Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how to remove ca hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how to remove ca hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:35 AM
crebulus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove ca hinges

I want to pull all of the hinged parts off to recover the plane. I'm not sure how to do this without damage.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:44 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: hot to remove ca hinges

You don't pull them out. You cut them off with a razor. After you get them all cut loose, you take your razor and shave the nubs down flush. When the time comes, you cut new slots, and insert new hinges somewhere OTHER than where the originals were--like right next to them. Do not use the same slots--the wood is already hardened with CA and will not take new glue well enough to hold up in flight.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:53 AM
crebulus

I think I could have a potential problem then. I don't have the plane in front of me right now, but I think the rudder for some reason has like 5 hinges in it, that wouldn't leave much room for cutting new slots. The plane was given to me, and is pretty old, so if I covered the rudder the way it is, I would be concerned about the hinges failing. Any ideas?

Here is the link to the thread where I asked about the plane: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3966762/tm.htm]thread[/link]
Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

DarrinD,
If you don't think you are going to have room to put new hinges in you can leave the current ones in place. You can leave them there ONLY if they are in good shape. Look at them, if they are damaged or weak then you have to replace them. But for the sake of this let's assume they are in good shape, and your only problem is that you don't have room for new hinges. So here's what you can do. Strip off the old covering and leave the control surface hinged. Then when you recover the plane start off with sealing the hinge gap with covering. In fact, I do this on all of my planes. It seals the gap which gives you better performance from the plane anyway. Plus, with CA hinges it gives you insurance against a hinge failure. Basically you'll have 2 types of hinges on the plane, the CA hinge and a covering material hinge. You will never have a hinge failure this way.

Anyway, quick explanation of what to do. First of all cut yourself a strip of covering. You'll have to cut it wide enough to fill the gap with about 1/8"-1/4" extending out each side of the gap (usually 3/4"-1" is wide enough depending on the plane). Then fold the strip in halve (with the adhesive side out). It's easier to apply this if the control surface is fully deflected away from you so the gap is open, I use masking tape to hold the control surface away from you. Remove the backing from the strip of covering and then put the strip into the gap, with the fold line directly on the hinges in the gap. I usually use a trim iron for this because the small head is easier to work with, but you can use a regular covering iron if you're careful. Starting on one side of the gap seal down the covering to one side of the gap, all along the length of the control surface. Then go back and do the other side of the gap. Then on one side of the gap fold down the excess and seal it to the wood. Then go do the other side the same way. Now you can recover the plane as you would normally do, just bring you covering right up to the edge of the gap.

See pictures for an example of what I'm talking about

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34986.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	417954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95274.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	417955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50530.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	417956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55685.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	417957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85758.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	417958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz36740.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	417959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su37003.jpg
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	417960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az87144.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	417961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Po98295.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	417962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj54815.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	417963  
Old 03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
crebulus

awesome info RCken. I'll inspect the hinges when I get home tonight. I'm assuming I can do this on all the hinged areas, not just the rudder? I know that's probably a stupid question.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: how to remove ca hinges

DarrinD,
Absolutely. In fact, doing all of the hinges this way helps the performance of the plane. You wouldn't believe how much of a difference sealing up the gaps will make.

Ken
Old 03-01-2006, 02:37 PM
2slow2matter

This can be done to all models--even after they are covered. I would suggest buying a roll of clear for your models that have already been covered. That way you don't have to buy multiple colors. Clear will go over anything, and be basically unoticeable.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:18 PM
campbec

Hi Darrin,

There are many ways to "skin a cat". Ken and other have provided excellent options. When I replace ca hinges I cut them flush with a scalpel and replace with Robart hinge joints adjacent to the ca slots.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-01-2006, 03:35 PM
2slow2matter

Yea, if you have to change hinges due to age, then for sure--just replace them with hinge points. They require a lot less space to install.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:50 PM
crebulus

i can just do both, and then i'd be set I imagine. I havent been home yet to look at them, but I am concerned because of the age, and the storage environment this plane was in. what size would I need for an 1/4 scale EAA bipe?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
CrashBurn69

ORIGINAL: campbec

Hi Darrin,

There are many ways to "skin a cat". Ken and other have provided excellent options. When I replace ca hinges I cut them flush with a scalpel and replace with Robart hinge joints adjacent to the ca slots.

Cheers,

Colin
I have a P-51 that I accidentally bumped the rudder and lossened two of the 5 hinges in it. Can you install the Robart hing joints without completely removing all of the hinges? Ot is there something better for this situation.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can cut out the old CA hinges with an X-acto knife, then maybe you can expoxy new hinges in. I never tried epoxy on CA hinges though; in a case like that, I switch over to dubro pin hinges, the ones with the little cotter pin, and epoxy. It'll take patience getting out the old CA hinges.

Mike
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
CrashBurn69

Since one side pulled out clean, it would be nice if I could work the other side out and widen the slot just a hair, then take a straw and blow some epoxy in the slot. That way the pinned hinge would stay clean and should going in fairly easy.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:58 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

If you do use the epoxy and straw method, you may find it easier to "squeeze" the epoxy into the slot rather than blow it in. It also makes it easier to place the right amount in the right place for a good glue connection.[8D]