Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

After Run Oil to the muffler ?

Old 03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default After Run Oil to the muffler ?

Hi,

I'm trying to put After Run Oil to the engine inside a cowl and I don't want to make another hole for carburetor access for After Run Oil.
I tried to put oil via breather tube but not easy.
Then I thought the easiest access to the engine was the muffler.
So, I squirted about 15-20 drops into the muffler and quickly turn the prop so that the oil doesn't go to the fuel tank.
As I turn the prop, I heard sucking sound and no oil visible on the tube to the fuel tank.
Please know that this is 4 stroke engine's muffler which is much thinner and smaller than 2 stroke muffler.

Do you think this method is ok ?

Thanks.
Jake.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: After Run Oil to the muffler ?

Nope.

The after run oil, in order to do its job, needs to get to the bearings in the engine. Through the carb or crankcase vent the oil can get there. It can't get there from the muffler.

Since it is a 4 stroke, just use the tubing you have attached to the crankcase vent to squirt the oil into the engine.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
jrotor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I looke at carburetor port and muffler port in the crankcase and the location is almost symmatrical and also located at the same height.
The carburetor port is on the left side of crankcase head and muffler port is on the right side.
Why does carbeuretor port works but not muffler port ?
2 stroke is easier to understand because carb is located under the cylinder and muffler is located above.
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

fuel flow through the engine is created by three action's. one the back of the crank shaft is a vacuum pump that draw fuel from the carb. two the timing of the piston which is created by the height difference of the input and exhaust ports and finally the exhaust pressure built up in the tank. most dominant being pressure from exhaust back pressure. this flow only goes one direction and doesn't matter which way the engine spins. To the point you can put all the after run oil you want down the exhaust the only thing your going to sufficiently lube is the piston sleeve. which being mainly brass and chrome doesn't matter. the main point of the after run oil is to coat the steel bearings and crankshaft which replaces the alcohol fuel that attracts water and ultimately results in rust
Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Campy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In plain English , the carb and the crankcase vent go directly into the crankcase (where your bearings are), the muffler doesn't.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your engine is a 4 stroke, the only place you can effectively inject the after run oil is into the crankcase breather tube and not just a drop or two, you need to squirt in about a teaspoon full to be effective. In a two stroke, you can put it in either the exhaust or carb intake and, by turning the engine over by hand, suck it into all the necessary places. On the 4 stroke, it is much more difficult, the easiest is to make sure the engine position is with the crankcase vent at the highest elevation, connect a tube between the afterrun oil container and the vent then turn the prop over by hand. As you turn the engine over by hand it will alternately suck and blow back oil through the tube but, if the engine is lower than the oil source, you will be able to suck more in than you blow back out.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:06 PM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

couldn't you just take the glow plug out and squirt it in through that opening?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:17 PM
jrotor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wait, would glow plug opening work for 4 stroke ? I thought glow plug and muffler are in the same position.
Even thought it works, it';s too much pain to do that way.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yall aren't listening to a thing these people are trying to teach you. Here it is again.
Two stroke--carb opens into fuel port built into the crankshaft. AFterrun oil squirted into the carb will find it's way into the bottom of the crankcase through the crank shaft.

Four stroke--carb opens into the intake manifold, which holds the fuel until the intake valve opens, and the vacuum of the engine draws the fuel in. Intake valve closes, piston travels up, compresses mixture, piston travels down, exhaust valve opens, and the exhaust leaves through the muffler. The fuel never enters the crankcase--just the cylinder. There is no access for fuel or oil into the crankcase through the carb or muffler in a four stroke--except blow by on the ring, which isn't going to be enough to be effective for what you are wanting to do with the afterrun oil.
The only access to the crankcase (where the bearings are) in a four stroke is through the crankcase vent tube--the nipple located somewhere on the crankcase itself--usually on the backplate, but sometimes found on the cam itself. There should be a tube leading from this nipple to the outside of your cowl somewhere. Get yourself a syringe. Fill it up with afterrun oil. Attach the syringe to the crankcase vent tube (no needle on the syringe), and squirt it in. Every now and then, slowly turn the prop a little to help draw the oil in. Once it is all in, hold the plane at different attitudes to get the oil all over the inside of the lower end. Bam, bearings oiled.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Use Omage fuel. You won't need after run oil.

Thats pretty simple, isn't it?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been running omega for years. I don't trust it enough to not lube it at the end of the day. Oh and by the way after run oil is just degummed castor. hold on to one of the little after run oil bottle then get a quart of caster oil and refill the little bottle and acomplish the same thing for less than half the cost
Old 03-02-2006, 03:39 PM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Or use ATF, and refill it for half of half
Old 03-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any air tool oil, Rislone (in the yellow container) and ATF all serve well as afterrun oils and are relatively inexpensive.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:35 AM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

duplicate
Old 03-05-2006, 02:36 AM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your engine is a 4 stroke, the only place you can effectively inject the after run oil is into the crankcase breather tube and not just a drop or two, you need to squirt in about a teaspoon full to be effective.
I did not note what size 4 stroke this amount applicable. Big difference in volume of case between say a FS 30 and FS 120. Can you use too much oil in the crankcase breather fitting? I happen to have a new O.S. 52 FS Picked up some 3-in-1 oil to use just may dilute with some AFT Fluid.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:16 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can indeed get too much in there; and if you use an electric starter with a hydro-locked engine, at best you'll score your spinner. At worst, you'll bend something in the engine.

BTW... don't forget the muffler bearing grease...
Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would be very difficult to get to much in unless you blocked the breather tube after you were done because, as soon as you turn the engine over any excess will be pushed out the breather tube. Probably, if you tried real hard you could do damage by putting so much in there was no room for compression of the surrounding air pocket but that would require much more than a teaspoon full on any size engine.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why waste your time. I haven't used afterrun oil in anything in over 30 years. The fuel has enough oil in it to protect your engine and the nitro in it evaproates so fast you don't need to worry about it. I have never worn out a bearing, but most of my friends that run the fuel out and use after run oil have. The way I was taught works well, why change it.

If you store it, then lube it up good.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:54 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is an article on oiling a cowled motor in a cub.

http://www.rcdon.com/html/hints_and_tips.html
Old 03-05-2006, 01:58 PM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would be hard to create a hydrolock when you are injecting the oil into the lower end. If it were going through the top end, then yes--you can get too much (as is the case in two strokes). With my four strokes, I just fill up my little syringe, and inject it all!