Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spray Painting Monokote

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spray Painting Monokote

Old 03-04-2006, 09:38 AM
YELLOWCAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Painting Monokote

I got a trainer from a guy and want to change the color without having to strip all the monokote. Has anyone painted over monokote before and if so what paint works.. Also, If it happens to get a hole in the wing or something how easy is it to patch it up being a painted surface now?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:05 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spray Painting Monokote

You can try Krylon Fusion. It seems to do a fairly good job. I do not know if it is fuel proof, though.

Les
Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Rustoleum works. Done it several times. Fuel proof up to %15 in my case. It helps to scuff up the moneykote with 0000 or so steel wool before painting. Make sure its clean and clear of any skin oils. It reshrinks pretty good but you have to lay something like a white T-shirt piece over it. Then use the iron. But dont let the material move around. Might smear the paint, dont know for sure about that part. Never had it happen. As for repairing, you might have to remove the paint from that area. Moneykote wont stick to a painted surface. Then repaint again. On areas that will be affected by vibration, such as around a cowl, the paint WILL rub off. I just use moneykote of the appropriate color in those areas.
Edwin
Old 03-04-2006, 06:37 PM
YELLOWCAKE

Thanks guys.. I found this paint at a pawn shop that deals in RC http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/lustrekote.html

They sell it for 6 bucks for a big can. Gonna try it out.. I'll post on the results in a couple of weeks. Any other tips, info, ideas would be helpful.

Thanks...
Old 03-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Edwin

Good luck. I've had mixed results using lustre coat. The pigment is pretty large and the cans spit and splatter. Thats been my results.
Edwin
Old 03-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Hellcat716

Heat the can up and it will spray fine. I put the can in hot water for about five minutes.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Edwin

I've done that. I really wanted luster coat to work. But continually had too many problems with it. The worst case was black spots in the yellow. Went back to the LHS and we tested all their yellow cans, same thing in all of them. I'll use their clear for some clear coating. Unless they've changed their formula I'll never use their colors again.
Edwin
Old 03-14-2006, 12:46 AM
The Raven

I'm about to paint my Sportsman Aviation P40. Haven't got the paints yet but I intend to do the following. Any comments welcome:

1. Primer entire aircraft using Gunze Mr Surfacer 1000. For plastic modelling this stuff is magic and makes for a great fill coat. Obviously at R/C scale the paint will merely act as a primer. A light sanding yields a baby smooth primer coat. Bonds very well on most plastics (lacquer based so spray thin coats) and give excellent paint adhesion. Stops any underlying colours bleeding through (eg. original scheme)!

2. Using probably household grade paints (acrylic or enamel not sure yet) and will airbrush the plane. Not sure on how many coats it will need.

3. Seal everything with a matt varnish, fellow fliers have given me names of locally available "household" grade stuff but I may also consider Testors Dullcote (another plastic model type "paint")

Do we have any scale plastic modeller out there who have crossed to the darkside like me? I'd like to hear what plastic techniques work for R/C aircraft. Paint *should* be one of them.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:05 PM
rccrippen

Contact GRACO SUPPLY in Ft. Worth TX. at 817-535 -3200. They make paints (in spray cans
for touch up) that the U.S. MILITARY uses on thier Aircraft. With proper prep. and use of thier
primer, you WILL NOT find a tougher primer/paint combo out there! and there compatible
with Top Flite's Paints. Works very well on Ultra/Monocote. One light coat of primer and two light
coats of paint, and after 48 to 72 hours I challenge anyone to get it off without damaging your
covering!! I've even poured pure Acetone on it with no negative affects! GREAT STUFF!

RICK
Old 04-02-2006, 04:44 AM
The Raven

Ft Worth huh? Well I haven't lived there since the early 80's and am currently in Australia. I appreciate the advice but it's impractical for me.

After speaking to many club members they recommended using normal household paints or model paints. Being a plastic modeller I am equipped to airbrush and have since purchased some close matching household paints.

Once again, thanks for the advice. Hope it helps a fellow modeller out there.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:42 AM
rccrippen

Sorry Raven, did'nt notice your location, is there a Aircraft paint supply some where
"Down Under"?

Where did you live in the Ft.Worth area? I've been here since 1970!

RICK
Old 04-03-2006, 04:48 AM
The Raven

Probably one of the local airports could help, or a warbird restorer I know. For me the household style paints should work well with some decent prep and application (the last point being the hardest).

I live out on the boundaries of Parker and Tarrant county, just near the nuke storage. Went to school at Brewer HS.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:01 AM
rccrippen

Small world, I grew up on the westside also! About to move to Aledo, and graduated from Western Hills
in 83'. I fly at a field in east Ft. Worth though, really nice. How did you end up way down there?

RICK
Old 04-05-2006, 05:46 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: rccrippen

Small world, I grew up on the westside also! About to move to Aledo, and graduated from Western Hills
in 83'. I fly at a field in east Ft. Worth though, really nice. How did you end up way down there?

RICK

Western Hills, we probably knew some of the same people. Do you remember Christi, who's last name I can't remember but I had a terrible crush on? She had a brother who spent most of 83 out of country.

You might also remember Andre and her two sisters. Andre was class of 84 (I think) and her father the pastor at Western Hills Baptist. She drove a Monte Carlo when she wasn't driving her parents Pontiac.

I'm Australian, father was RAAF and buying some gear from GD back then. Hence why I was there.