Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering advice

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 01:36 PM
chris-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering advice

I want to cover a wing with a pattern similar to that pictured with profilm. Normally I would do this by covering the whole wing in the base color and then use PROTRIM to add the markings, but in this case the markings are 50% of the wing so is there are a better way of doing it in this case, but still using profilm/protrim?

What about making it out of individual pieces of proFILM, maybe tacking them together before applying to the wing? Although this could be tricky.

Cheers,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1493_2467.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1729  
Old 01-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Default Covering advice

Never used protrim before. I have used monokote on sucha project though. I used a nice size mirror, layed out all parts then seemed the pieces together using heat. the film is easily removed from the mirror. we have been able to do some outlandish styles this way.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Covering advice

If I were covering that wing, I would cover it completely with the darker color and then very carefully iron on white stripes from the trailing edge forward.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering advice

I'm not familiar with Profilm but this is how I would do it with Ultracote or Monokote.

First cover the wing from the spar to the trailing edge with white. Then cover from the spar to the leading edge with purple. Then add purple rectangles over the white to achieve the pattern you want.

I'm not a big fan of prejoining pieces and then applying them as a whole sheet to the wing. I tried this with Ultracote and got a little too carried away with the heat gun...result: one seam pulled apart so I stripped the wing and recovered.

Rich.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Default Covering advice

Originally posted by Mendes

I'm not a big fan of prejoining pieces and then applying them as a whole sheet to the wing. I tried this with Ultracote and got a little too carried away with the heat gun...result: one seam pulled apart so I stripped the wing and recovered.

Rich.
I understand how you feel but I have had very good results from the prejoined method. You have to at least overlap the edges (dark on top) by 1/4 inche then use a very hot setting on the mirror. You want it so hot that it actually sticks to the mirrored surface. Seems won't come loose if you have a good bond on the mirror.
Just my $0.02 worth
Old 01-23-2002, 06:11 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering advice

If you are using Monokote that technique works well. After doing a bit of research I found out that Profilm is actually Oracover, Oracover (Ultracote) shrinks too much at too low a heat setting to make this technique work well. The seams pull apart much more readily then they would with Monokote. Since it is indeed Oracover, it will be easy to put trim over a base color because it's adhesive won't gas and make alot of bubbles like Monokote would.

Rich.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:03 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Covering advice

I second Mendes' suggestion, especially if this on an open bay wing with no balsa sheeting forward of spar. Drum-tight Monocote adds a lot of strength to the wing. Plus it is a lot easier to do IMHO. The additional sq. in.'s used vs. piecing together is negligible.