RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Landing gear foot print ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4034023-landing-gear-foot-print.html)

Rollingthunder 03-14-2006 04:33 PM

Landing gear foot print ?

Need some help here, and I know this is just the place to find it.
I've yet to unboxed the wood for my Wayfarer build, and realize I have a slight problem.
I've read most of the threads on LG locations, but none I've read, address how wide the LG should be…

The plans only give a side view of the gear with notation to use a 'Hallo B-105-5'.
Does anyone have an old Hallo lying around :D that would tell me how wide to shoot for?
The gear is 5" high, which I think equates to the second -5. I'm wondering if the 105 equals 10.5 inches.
This seems a little narrow when measured out on the plan.

Are there any rules of thumbs (always seem to be more than one) in LG design theory that give any approximation on the width?

My second problem is finding a .40 gear that is 5", as I'm finding mostly 31/2 or 4" high gears.
The ARF replacements on Tower, usually don't give dimensions.
So let's check those attics and let's see what we can find.

Waiting for spring,

Bob S.
Toledo, OH

Campy 03-14-2006 08:40 PM

RE: Landing gear foot print ?

I don't know what the Hallo-B-105-5 translates to, however, most of my taildragger 40 size planes (sport, non-scale type ) typically have the tires at between 14" - 16" apart.

As for your LG, why not make your own ?

You can bend up some music wire, and if needed, add a rear leg by wrapping the joint in thin copper wire and soldering it.

Another option would be to use some 6061 aluminum about 3/32 - 1/8" thick and bend your own. Bending 6061 is very easy. To begin with 6061 is has a hardness rating of T6.

To bend the 6061 you will need a black magic marker, a vise, some scrap pieces of 2x4, a propane torch and a pair of heavy gloves (leather is best ).

1. Mark where you want/need the bends to be with the magic marker.

2. Clamp the aluminum in a vise.

3. Heat the MAGIC MARKER MARK until it turns BROWN in color.

4. Use the scrap 2x4 pieces to support the aluminum while making the bend. This will keep the metal between the bends flat.

5. After all the bends are made, put the landing gear aside for about 5 days.

6. After 5 days you can drill your axle holes and mounting holes and do any filing you may want to do.

6061 aluminum will reharden itself to a T4 (or slightly better) in about 5 days.

Sheet metal shops are my source for the aluminum. I ask for "cut offs". Frequently they give them to me for free.

Hope this helps.

burgh_guy61 03-15-2006 07:30 AM

You could talk to the people at TNT landing gear, they are right there in OH.
http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/...ne_catalog.htm

BillS 03-15-2006 08:01 AM

There is no magic to gear height or width. Height will be determined by prop clearance. Older kits were usually designed for smaller engines than used today. Prop to ground clearance is often inadequate especially when flying off grass. Width is whatever looks correct. Wide gear is usually more stable.

Bill

Rollingthunder 03-15-2006 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the feedback. You guys are good.

TNT was suggested by my LHS, as they are only twenty minutes away, but their custom gear is $28 and my budget is cost under $80.00. ;)
After reading some of the great threads on bending sheet alum. I considered that, but figured I'd mess up the first couple tries plus the cost of a good vice.
The choice of wire gear didn't appeal to me till I found this picture of the Svenson 'Wayfarer' kit build and discovered it has wire gear. This looks like something I might be able to fabricate on my own.

The fuselage is exactly 4" at the point of attachment. Now, I need your best guess as to the width separating the wheels.

Thanks,

Bob S.

Ps Also need best wire size to buy...

Campy 03-15-2006 11:22 PM

MOST 40 - 60 size planes use 5/32" music wire for the main gear and the same (or smaller ) size for the brace.

I am presently doing a Boeing P-26 (Pea Shooter ) from some Cleveland plans. I am using 5/32" for the mains and 3/32" for the bracing wire. The plane will have a 58" span and be powered by a Saito 82. I estimate a dry weight of about 7 1/2 lbs.

tacamoswabby 05-27-2006 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HOWDY,

My Wayfarer has a Hallco part number B105-5 landing gear (see attachments). I have the original Hallco spec sheet for their landing gears and it lists the 105-5 as a medium duty model for a suggested model weight of 4.5 - 6.0 lbs. Thickness and mounting surface of .100 X 2 X 3.5, approximate tread of 15.0, axle size 8-32 are listed, and sold for a whopping $4.25 in 1972.

My bipe weighs about 6.5 lbs. and the Hallco gear proved to be a mite weak for this plane. If you can find a Hallco B106-5 it should serve well as the thickness is.125 (all other dimensions are the same) and the weight is listed for 6.0 - 8.0 lbs.

In my case, I modified the gear with compression springs and two part piano wire links between the axle nuts and the opposite mounting screw. Also, I replaced the 8-32 axles with the newer spring steel jobs that are now available.

tacamoswabby 05-27-2006 10:45 AM

OOPS,

Last bit of data previously omitted:

The height of the gear from axle to mounting surface is 3.9 for the B105-5 Hallco.

tacamoswabby 05-27-2006 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more thing: Here's a recent photo that better illustrates the gear.