Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultra Sport Engine Question\Suggestion

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes Ultra Sport Engine Question\Suggestion

Old 03-19-2006, 02:19 AM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Great Planes Ultra Sport Engine Question\Suggestion

Guys,

I just bought..... Another plane. An old Ultra Sport by Great Planes. Recommended engine is up to .46 2 cycle, would putting in a Super Tigre .51 be too much? I've always run my planes hot\over powered, but wondered on this one since I've been out of flying for so long. Geez.... 4 planes in 1 month.....lol ......Any feedback appreciated........ Greg
Old 03-19-2006, 09:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Great Planes Ultra Sport Engine Question\Suggestion

Rod, is this an original US, or the new US+ ?

I know that I used a 50 on the original and it was great!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

It's the original Ultra Sport. So I guess it will be ok. I just hate having slooooow planes. The .51 should be a screamer.... Thanks, Greg
Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MinnFlyer,

The old Ultra Sport is on its way, should be here by the weekend. On the old Ultra, is there 2 servos for the ailerons or only 1? I asked the seller that question and he wasn't sure. Hoping it has 2 like the new Ultra Sport Plus .... Greg
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 PM
feep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm building a new fuselage for my Ultra sport. I will be reinstalling my OS 46 la in it. It was plenty for me but I do'nt see a problem using a larger engine. I used the 46 la because it ran for 2 years without a single problem. But I installed it according to directions ( Upside down) and it was a nightmare. If you are using a 2 stroke look into installing it any way but upside down. I have my new installation sideways and the fuel tank is mounted up high. There shouldn't be a problem. Only thing I had to do so far with the sideways install is get a muffler extender so it would clear the bottom of the fuselage and drill a different hole for the throttle.
Minnflyer, there are 2 servos for the ailerons and 2 for the elevators.
This project should be ready in a couple weeks. I'll post some pics .
Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Feep,

I had actually asked Minflyer the question, so your answer is directed to me. Thanks for the response. I look forward to this plane; I've heard some good things about the flight characteristics. Exactly what were the nightmare issues with the inverted engine mounting? Glad you mentioned it, so I can avoid issues myself ... Thanks, Greg
Old 03-22-2006, 05:17 PM
feep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh I forgot to mention it. The engine was a dream in 2 avistars. Started right up and I don't think I touched the needle valve twice in 2 1/2 years. So when I moved up I bought the Ultra sport to go with the OS 46 LA and installed it inverted like the directions suggest. The engine would not run right after that. I went from only charging my remote glow starter 2 or 3 times a season to chargng it after every day I flew. I made more dead stick landings in about a month with it in the Ultra sport than in 2 1/2 years in 2 trainers. It was all caused by inverting the engine as far as I was concerned. Unless machines can become like Mr Hyde. I was just about ready to rip it out and redo the fuselage when a little pilot error and gravity solved the problem. When I went out to pick up the pieces it was like someone was talking to me. The wing was completly intact and the fuselage was largly intact except the enine, still on the firewall, and attached to the fuel tank by the fuel lines was ripped out of it.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:10 PM
kamakazie frank
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rod Bender

The old Ultra Sport is on its way, should be here by the weekend. On the old Ultra, is there 2 servos for the ailerons or only 1? I asked the seller that question and he wasn't sure. Hoping it has 2 like the new Ultra Sport Plus .... Greg
Hey Rod Bender:

On the Ultra Sport 40, the original came with blue highlights on the box, and is set up for only one servo (see second photo of plans) for the ailerons. Had one for 15 years with an Enya 45CX and tuned pipe. Last summer it was shot down by a newbie who turned on his transmitter while I was flying. Great ship!

In the process of building the original US 40 with two servos for the ailerons. Just finished the wing halves this week. I will set it up the same way: Enya 45CX (hot engine) & tuned pipe.

kf

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22144.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	431117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68543.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	769.2 KB
ID:	431118  
Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Rod Bender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Frank,

Looks awesome. Now, you said this is an old one as in Old kit? The one I'm getting is the blue detailed arf, the only new ones of this plane I see at Tower is the US+ kit, no arf. Just wondering if yours was a kit or did you remove the covering to do the work? Thanks for the response!!!! Exactly what I wanted to hear about this plane. I'll do an update thread when I get it and start the project. Flying season is here!! On days it’s not snowing....

..........Greg
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 PM
kamakazie frank
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rod Bender:

That is a kit. Hate to bust your bubble but the US40 ARF does not compare to the kit build.

kf