Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do I repair cracked windshield?

Old 03-19-2006, 04:08 PM
rwright142

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How do I repair cracked windshield?

I cracked the windshield in my Cessna 182. It's cracked too much to fly safely and I don't want to slap packing tape over it for the same reason. What's the best way to permanently fix it, without having to replace it? Can I use CA and just press the cracks together? What can I do to make it stronger? Could I run a bead of Epoxy veritcally down the inside? I don't care about the cosmetics, I may even paint it black if the repair looks too bad. It is real thin plastic so replacing it would not prevent it in the future so I want to strengthen it this time.
What happened is that I was flying just fine, landed, and refueled. I then taxiied out and took off. I got up to about 20 feet but then the engine stopped. I nosed her down and landed at the end of the runway but run out of runway, hit some grass, and she nosed over. The windshield was the only major damage. The nosewheel fairing was bent and cracked a little, but nothing to even worry about.
The engine is a SuperTiger .61 4 stroke and I had not had any problem with it before. I'm thinking it may have been a little cold outside and maybe was too lean? It was 45 degrees (F), but like I said I had already flown her for about 15 minutes without any problems.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:16 PM
brooke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How do I repair cracked windshield?

I would think you should be able to put epoxy on the inside of the windshield, between the crack, and that will do the job. I would also think you should be able to coat the inside of the entire windshield to help strengthen it, like you would fuelproof the firewall. The reason I think this would work is because everything I have put epoxy on it has never broke at the same point. I would also recheck the CG just to make sure.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:49 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wr, the way to repair a cracked canopy is to drill a small hole at the end of any partial cracks to prevent them from getting longer. cut a peace of canopy plastic from other kits on hand or from a soda bottle that has a similar curvature. using "rc-56" glue attach the patch and hold it in place with some kind of clamp that fits the conture of the wind shield. I usually use balsa i've shaped held in place by a c clamp.

Joe
Old 03-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you don't care about the cosmetics--put epoxy and fiberglass on the inside of the entire windshield.

1 layer should do it. I'll bet you'll never crack it again.

You might want to take it off the model and dye it black first. Then glass it on the inside. Put it back on with canopy glue and a couple screws.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:30 PM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Goldberg Monster Pitts where the canopy was cracked about 3/4" long from the rear edge. I carefully allowed some thin CA to wick into the crack and it is not even noticeable at this point. Cracks tend to propagate (due to stress concentration) if you do not drill a hole to remove the sharp crack tip, however, I believe you may be able to get away with what I did in some cases since the crack was created by improper handling and not from actual flying/mounting stresses.

Steve