Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Underpower Shrike 40

Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Blue Ribbon
My Feedback: (133)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Underpower Shrike 40

I got an excellent buy on a 80% completed Shrike .40 kit, not ARF. Look at putting an OS .46AX in it, but it is going to be a very very tight squeeze.

My flying skills are "medium" - I an NOT looking for terror white knuckle speed. I'm looking for a fun aircraft. (I am NOT going to use gear. I have no problem with combat planes, though they may have more lift than the Shrike.)

I know you speed deamons are going to kill me, but what if I put something like a GWS .32 in the plane. I did a lot of searching, and everything I found is on going faster and fast verticle. I'm looking sport plane.

If I go to a OS .40, it is the exact same size as the .46 AX, so I haven't gained anything. I've also looked at the GWS .40 and Super Tigre .40, but I'm not saving anything on size or weight.

Would appreciate feed-back.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-21-2006, 09:47 AM
ksubigbuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Underpower Shrike 40

go for it if you want. With that motor it should still have enough power to sport fly. However, this plane is built to go FAST! While a smaller engine will slow it down a little, it will still be somewhat fast, and will probably land fast. Should be a great plane for sharpening you reflexes. hehehe
Old 03-21-2006, 08:07 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Underpower Shrike 40

This is the perfect plane to learn how to deal with speed. Get the 46 and fly it. The first couple weekends just fly around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. It'll be like the .32 at 3/4 throttle. then try some 1/2 to 2/3 throttle straight line bursts, do that for a couple weekends. Then go full throttle a few time before you know it you'll be flying it around full throttle from launch to empty tank and do just as comfortably as your trainer. at that point put a 9x8 prop for more speed. Before you know you'll start looking to put a Rossi or Jett on it. dealing with fast models is just a frame of mind. if you think you can't then you can't, ease into it and your mind will catch up