Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Oil on my servo connections

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Oil on my servo connections

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on my servo connections

I just noticed I have oil soaked connections on my profile. The exhaust must have thrown the oil down the side of the fuselage and got into the servo connections, now what? Would it be safe just to spray the connections down with and electrical connection cleaner, wipe it down, then maybe use my airhose to blow the oil out? I hate to spend the money on new servos!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Oil on my servo connections

Use Contact cleaner and air to clean the connector
Old 03-23-2006, 09:58 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would dunk the oily connector in alcohol and brush or wipe it down. Don't use rubbing alcohol, which is diluted with water. Use methanol or denatured ethyl alcohol from the paint department of your local Lowe's, Home Depot or paint store.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:48 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Flyboy1958

I just noticed I have oil soaked connections on my profile. The exhaust must have thrown the oil down the side of the fuselage and got into the servo connections, now what? Would it be safe just to spray the connections down with and electrical connection cleaner, wipe it down, then maybe use my airhose to blow the oil out? I hate to spend the money on new servos!
I have a trainer with close to 150hours or genuine air time on it. The aileron servo connector has some oil on it (don't know how as it's inside the fuse - but then I run an oil blowing LA) which is easily wiped down pre-assembly at the field.

The connectors have gone green but I've never suffered any problems. Some may call that luck but as long as you wipe them clean and the gunk isn't inside the connector it's not worth worrying about.

Dipping things in chemicals is more than likely going to break down the plastic faster than letting a little oil stay on it.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Flyboy1958

Thanks guys, I used some electrical contact cleaner on it and blew it out with my air hose, looks good. Hopefully it will work good.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:04 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The Raven

I have a trainer with close to 150hours or genuine air time on it.

The connectors have gone green but I've never suffered any problems. Some may call that luck but as long as you wipe them clean and the gunk isn't inside the connector it's not worth worrying about.
That one is a potential problem.

I splashed a Seamaster last summer from exactly that -- corrosion on the battery-switch connector.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: britbrat

ORIGINAL: The Raven

I have a trainer with close to 150hours or genuine air time on it.

That one is a potential problem.

I splashed a Seamaster last summer from exactly that -- corrosion on the battery-switch connector.

Yeah, should have been more specific. The only "gunk" I get is on my aileron servo connector, the rest are perfectly clean. I put this gunk down to being more exposed to contamination than the rest (wing on/off/cleaning etc). The green colour could be related to the fuel dye or the stuff I wipe down the plane with. Either way, I'm doubtful it's corrosion but I do wipe it off as much as possible.......full range checks also apply each flying day.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:41 AM
kd7oir

That is some thing I haven't had to think about yet as I'm just starting out but how would silicone dielectric grease work for keeping the connectors free of fuel and to insure a good connection. I know it works on the plug wires of mud bogger trucks.
Just food for thought.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:59 PM
ArCeeFlyer

I think the silicon dielectric grease should work. I tested it on my battery connector and everything worked fine. Although, I haven't done any extensive tests to be sure. I was planning on checking that out to see if everything works okay. I thought that would be a great added security measure for float planes. In cable tv construction, it was mandatory for us to use it in all of the cable splices and it doesn't effect the power or signal in that, albeit that's a different animal with with typically 60 volts AC and from 7 to 800 MHz. I feel like it should work okay on R/C connections, but like I said, I want to thoroughly test it first before committng a plane to the air with it. Maybe somebody already tested it out.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Matt14x

Flyboy

Oil is an insulator. wipe it off the best you can ( oil attracts dirt ) and fly your thumbs off.

matt
Old 03-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Flyboy1958

Ya, I sprayed it down with an electrical cleaner spray and used my air hose on it. Seemed to work pretty darn good from what I can tell.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Fredsterman

I use heat shrink tubing on any extensions from the reciever. Unless I'll need to disconnect them later just wrap the joint with a couple turns of electrical tape The reciever itself is wrapped in foam in a plastic bag to keep it clean.