Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is it me or has Monokote's quality gone down????

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is it me or has Monokote's quality gone down????

Old 03-27-2006, 12:40 PM
reaaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Is it me or has Monokote's quality gone down????

been covering a super sporster 60 in monokote & i find it wrinkles much easier & i think that the monokote has a "grain" where on direction shrinks more than the other. comments anyone!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Is it me or has Monokote's quality gone down????

Have you been using another brand of covering?

I find that once you try something else, MK loses a lot of it's appeal
Old 03-27-2006, 04:34 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There have been several comments on Monokote in RCU. Some do not seem to have a problem, but I sure did. And it wasn't just lately as I run into it over a year ago. I have since changed to Ultra-Cote and so far am real happy with it.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried it 20 years ago and couldn't work with it and have tried off and on since then and still can't get good results with it. Other people I know won't use anything else
Old 03-27-2006, 07:31 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it's not what it used to be. Since Great Planes bought top flite out the covering wetn south. It used to be great stuff. On the other=hand untrakote isn't what it used to be either. I still use monokote. you just have to put a little more effort into it and plan ahead more, it really sucks. You can't rely on the wrinkles being shrunk out anymore, and if you try streaching it over a peice you'll warp the peice
Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 PM
reaaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yup exactly! monokote doesn't seem to have the "heat pliability" it used to have.
As for that dratted ultrakote, Please don't every try to use the aluminum colour. the clear top plastic film easily seperates from the colour if you try to remove or reapply a panel & any kind of tape will cause the same effect. I have 5-6 rolls left of old monokote (8 yrs plus. now that works like a charm. My new covering jobs look like a beginner did it. yuk.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used the aluminum ultracote on a Texan I built over a year ago. It was my first go around with ultracote, and I've been hooked ever since. It has been the best covering as far as holding up, and not wrinkling, and also was the absolute easiest covering I've ever installed. I would highly recommend ultracote aluminum, as well as other colors I've used--blue, red, cub yellow, and some others, as well as the worldtex fabric, which is also distributed by H9.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 AM
bhole74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It all boils down to personal preference. I have used Monokote for years, lately it seems it takes a lot of heat, but the wrinkles will come out. I'm really glad to hear people have good luck with Ultracote, I have covered two planes with it, very easy to apply, but when the sun hits it, it gets more wrinkles than a bulldog. Fabric is superior to all the plastics, just not the best choice for some applications. JMHO
Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
reaaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have never used the fabric type covering. those are still a mystery to me, but how do they compare to the plastic types. Do they come close to a mirror finish or do they have a noticable weave??????
Old 03-28-2006, 10:23 AM
bhole74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They have a weave. It is possible to use a filler primer and repaint them and remove a lot of the weave, but there is a big weight penalty.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:59 AM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can clear coat it with glossy, and fill in much of the weave--again, weight penalty. Also, fabric doesn't add to the structural integrety like plastic film does--it flexes a lot more.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:20 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the point to fabric is for scale applications, cub peat-n-pokes WW1 plane and the like. The no advantage to use them on sport models other that to be different.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You use fabric coverings because you WANT to see the weave and have a more scale appearance. This is another reason I like Ultracote over Monocote - the duller finish looks more natural instead of that shiny TOY look.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:41 AM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

monokote doesn't make a fabric, coverite does and solor tex does a couple others and it is kinda dull looking for scale apperance. You do realize WW1 planes, cubs peat-n-poke were all originally covered in silk right. Yes modern resored planes have smooth plastic covering but the original stuff was woven fabric you could see and feel. SO YES I use fabric so I can see the weave, you can only see the weave when your right up on it since it's a very tight micro weave. Is there some kinda of problem with this?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used Monocoat for many years. It seems to me that the quality is not near what it used to be. I cnan not stand the stuff now! I am building mostly WW1 1/4 scale and use the solartex fabric material. One coat of satin polyurethane and this cover seems to keep tight for life! I built a Sig Somthing Extra last fall to fly for fun this year and covered it with some extra monocat that needed using. Lots of wrinkles as I looked at the plane yesterday. I am just feed up with monocoat![:@] Does Ultracoat exibit the same problem?

Thanks

JEB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78505.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	436995  
Old 04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
bhole74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does Ultracoat exibit the same problem?
Wrinkles? Very much so.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:48 AM
moodier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No expert have always used monocote!Bought a couple roles of Ultracote and amazed at how nice it went on doing some curving areas elevator tip etc and went on much nicer and shrunk better too.Seems to be a heavier material than mono at least cuts lot harder!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:54 PM
nickj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used primarily Monokote over the past 20 years and have never found two rolls to handle exactly the same. IMO, the quality goes up and down all the time. Sometimes it shrinks great, other times it's almost impossible to get all the wrinkles out. I've never had trouble getting it to go around curves, though.

Every other covering I've tired, including fabrics, has been easier to use, but I keep coming back to MK. It just looks better.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:37 AM
deanwesterburg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I covered several models back in the late 80's and early 90's and was able to get the wrinkles out with Monokote. I have covered 2 models this year and both times gotten so mad at the crappy Monokote I have ripped it off and started over again only to get just as bad results the next time.. This stuff sucks.. Just like so many things anymore, they tried to make it cheaper and quality went out the window.

I get the same issues every time. I can pull tight from front to back on the Fuselage, then tack top and bottom equally with some tension then work over all the seams to seal it and see very few wrinkles. Then I use the heat gun to work out those little wrinkles and I get a PERMANENT wrinkle front to back. IT WAS NOT THERE BEFORE USING THE HEAT GUN!!! Isn't this stuff supposed to SHRINK when heated, not expand into a lump?

I am SO mad at this crap.. I just wish they would bring Carl Goldberg SuperCoat back.. That stuff was great. You could leave all kinds of wrinkles in it and still pull them out with the heat gun.

I'm about 30 seconds from removing all the covering AGAIN and going on a search for Silk and Dope or some usable means of covering.

Does anyone have any clues or ways to work around these issues with Monokote other than ironing it on with a Cloths iron over the entire surface rather than tacking the edges? Any recommendations other than Ultracoat?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:32 AM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If MK has gone downhill then how come all these GP ARF's look so darn good? I can't cover like these guys (or kids ) overseas can.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:54 AM
heli_Rod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you think Super Monokote is tough to use, you should have tried the regular monokote they came out with first! Basically, it was the same thing as Monokote trim sheet.....no ironing, just sticky stuff on the back. You didn't shrink it either. It was a real pain in the Axx!!!! [&o]. I had to switch to Monokote because my (ex)wife complained about the dope fumes.....dang I miss those buzzes!

I haven't used Monokote in a several years, but the new project I'm working on will be covered with it. I guess I'll find out if there is a difference in the covering now.

Rod
Old 12-10-2006, 10:51 AM
deanwesterburg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you will find today's Monokote disappointing. I started building and Covering models with Supercoat and MonoKote in 1988 (I was 12 at the time). It was better then.. I have more patients now than I did then. I was able to make a decent covering job back then but I just can't now with this recent poor quality monokote and my patients are totaly gone for the stuff.

I am going to go look for some Ultracote and some of that precolored Iron on cloth stuff and try them both out. I'll post my results later if I can find a hobby shop locally that is open on Sunday and carries covering. All these darn ARF's are just killing our ability to get good stuff locally!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:31 PM
deanwesterburg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I drove to a hobby shop about 30 miles away to get some other coverings. He only had UltraCote in the colors I needed, so I bought it. I covered a scrap old airplane side to test.

This Stuff is GREAT! It shrinks very nicely and if you really want to push your luck with heating it, you can see it slightly discolor before blowing a hole through it. The only difficulty is it likes to roll back up after you cut your piece, making it hard to judge where to tack it. I found that cutting the paper backing away only a few inches at one end allowed me to keep it flat and judge where to tack the first edge. I then peeled the backing the rest of the way off and tacked the opposite edge.

Good by Monokote, hello Ultracote!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

monokote doesn't make a fabric, coverite does and solor tex does a couple others and it is kinda dull looking for scale apperance. You do realize WW1 planes, cubs peat-n-poke were all originally covered in silk right. Yes modern resored planes have smooth plastic covering but the original stuff was woven fabric you could see and feel. SO YES I use fabric so I can see the weave, you can only see the weave when your right up on it since it's a very tight micro weave. Is there some kinda of problem with this?
Fabric covered airplanes of the vintage talked about above where for the most part covered with a fine linen and not silk. Modern fabric covered airplanes are covered in a material similar to Super Coverite, without the adhesive backing. Ceconite, is one of these types of covering materials.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

Fabric covered airplanes of the vintage talked about above where for the most part covered with a fine linen and not silk. Modern fabric covered airplanes are covered in a material similar to Super Coverite, without the adhesive backing. Ceconite, is one of these types of covering materials.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service