Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Stick 40 - What's up?

Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 AM
skoemba

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Super Stick 40 - What's up?

Hey there friends,

I have the H9 Super Stick 40 with a 52 ASP 2-stroke engine and a 12x4 APC prop. I fly at 1800m ASL.

I balanced her according to the book but she doesn't fly good. Loops are a mess. I cannot get a round loop out of her. On the up section, she seems to go up too steep. Less elevator makes her not want to go up at all.

Take-off, landing etc. are all fine. Do I have the CG wrong or is there some other problem.

Oh, before you ask, I make perfect loops with my Extra, so pilot error is not an option here.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Super Stick 40 - What's up?

I had one of these, and was not impressed. Even after stripping off that junk shelf-paper covering and re-covering with U-Cote, the airplane would not fly "right". It always flew tail-down, like the CG was wrong.

But no matter where I moved the CG, it still flew tail down. I tried varying the wing incidence and thrust line; no joy. Altering the stab incidence was next, but I ran out of patience and sold the thing.

It was the only H9 offering I've seen that wasn't a good model airplane.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:41 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one of these and as a RANK beginner, I have never thought there was a problem. It has flown tail-down for me as well, and drops like a rock below 1/3 throttle. It loops and rolls perfectly, however. I have about 6 gallons through it and I agree that shelf paper covering is pure junk.

Inverted flight is OK, but the problem is the incidence. I moved the LE up about a degree temporarily, re-trimmed it and flew it for a while, (it was a bit better). I ended up just puting it back the way it was and flying it.

It may not be the best plane H-9 has ever made, but it's perfect for windy days and it really takes a beating in my truck (after a few um....modifications to the tail section).

I have flown it so much that it takes me a few ciruits to get used to a plane that flies like....a plane.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Ernie Misner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They come out nose heavy, whereas the Ultra Sticks come out tail heavy. What's more, the CG point in the book was not quite right as I recall. The Super Stick can be a real fun plane though. I flew mine for 2 years until it was stolen. (wonder if the guy who did that flies it "like he stole it", lol)

Play with the balance until it takes just a touch of down elevator when inverted. You should have many hours of fun with that plane at any rate.

Ernie