Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Workbench ideas?

Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 PM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Workbench ideas?

My old workbench was an old hardwood table. I need a new one. I thought about buying one from Sears or something, but those all look like they are way overpriced, and felt like it too. So I thought about building one, but not sure how that would work as far as maintaining a perfectly flat surface.

Anyone have any ideas on putting together a good workbench? Or, does anyone have any recommendations on building one (plans or something)?

I could always stick a hollow core door on a couple of workhorses. Hmmm... Are those doors really perfectly flat?

I'd like to go with a magnetic system; I hate the T pins, but I don't think I want to spend the money on the magnets just yet, so magnets are out for now.

By the way, my floor is terribly uneven where I'll be building at (old and warped hardwood floor).

Any advice at all would be appreciated!

Old 03-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Bauer66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Workbench ideas?

I tried the Hollow core Door thing along time ago and It works for Many things, However I was building a new work Bench myself lately and stumbled onto something i think worked out well for me. I found a solid core Fire Door at Lowes, It had this Formica like sheeting over the entire door. Cost was around $48.00 and she was thick straight and true. Measurement was about 36"x 80" Ran a contractors level over it that i borrowed from a different isle at Lowes, No runs dips or errors.Worked great for me.

Semper Fi
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 PM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will have to go to Lowe's tomorrow and check that out. What did you set the door on? I gotta figure out something to hold it level without warping. I might just use a fold out table or something, though I'm afraid that any imperfections in that will eventually translate into imperfections in the work surface.

I've seen some of the real nice workbenches that have been built (www.airfieldmodels.com for instance), but I'm on a fairly tight budget, so your idea may work out really well. Thanks!
ORIGINAL: bushpilot1966

I tried the Hollow core Door thing along time ago and It works for Many things, However I was building a new work Bench myself lately and stumbled onto something i think worked out well for me. I found a solid core Fire Door at Lowes, It had this Formica like sheeting over the entire door. Cost was around $48.00 and she was thick straight and true. Measurement was about 36"x 80" Ran a contractors level over it that i borrowed from a different isle at Lowes, No runs dips or errors.Worked great for me.

Semper Fi
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was given that magnetic building set for my birthday. Overpriced but it sure is handy for building and the grid is great for lining up fuselages.

Solid core doors, huh? I'll have to look at those. I'll also keep a hollow core in my new shop too. Maybe a couple.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 PM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A little OT, but for just one post... hehe

I see you are in Auburn. I'm near Miss. State. Do you know of any good flying clubs or areas near NE MS.?

ORIGINAL: blw

I was given that magnetic building set for my birthday. Overpriced but it sure is handy for building and the grid is great for lining up fuselages.

Solid core doors, huh? I'll have to look at those. I'll also keep a hollow core in my new shop too. Maybe a couple.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
saramos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had some spare metal shelving units that I used for the base of my island workbench. The shelves are called Gorilla Racks, which I originally purchased at Costco. Each rack comes in two sections that are often stacked. I then made the top from three sheets of MDF and some pine. I cut and notched a sheet of 1/2" MDF to use as a filler for the top shelf of the racks. I made the benchtop using two sheets of 3/4" MDF with an internal frame made of 2 x 2 pine. This was then banded with 1 x 4 pine. The 1 x 4 allowed the box to fit over the top of the racks and 1/2" MDF filler. I also made the band extend 1/16" above the box. This allowed me to top it all off with a 4 X 8 sheet of 16 guage cold rolled steel. I scribed a 1" grid on the steel and waxed it using a paste car wax.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78222.jpg
Views:	2028
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	435552  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollow core door.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66906.jpg
Views:	9287
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	435553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78862.jpg
Views:	5879
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	435554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77369.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	435555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37128.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	435556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs94716.jpg
Views:	1619
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	435557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo89248.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	435558  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Bauer66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a very Un Level concrete floor, I set it on a set of gorrilla racks i purchased from costco. (Metal shelving Unit)I shimmed the legs where needed, That Door is very stout. It will tell you were you are off, Just pick up some wood shims for installing door Jams they are cheap and worth there weight in Gold.

Semper Fi.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 PM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anywhere to get Gorilla racks besides Costco? We don't have any of those here.

OOH RAH!

I have a very Un Level concrete floor, I set it on a set of gorrilla racks i purchased from costco. (Metal shelving Unit)I shimmed the legs where needed, That Door is very stout. It will tell you were you are off, Just pick up some wood shims for installing door Jams they are cheap and worth there weight in Gold.

Semper Fi.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Bauer66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If I remember right Lowes and Home Depot have either them or an equivalant. As Long as they are Heavy Duty and not the flimsy Tin Ones. You should be ok.

Semper Fi
Old 03-29-2006, 10:12 PM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome thanks man. I think I am going to try your setup.

What years were in the Corps? I was in for 2003, and 2003 only. Discharged under honorable conditions, medical. RE-3P.

If I remember right Lowes and Home Depot have either them or an equivalant. As Long as they are Heavy Duty and not the flimsy Tin Ones. You should be ok.

Semper Fi
Old 03-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Bauer66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was In from 84 to 91, HMA-369, I was Disharged under the same conditions, Dont make me dig out my DD 214 to look up the re enlistment code though LOL That might take a Bit. However I did find out that Helicopters do Land hard when the Engine stops turning the Blades. I am Now Retired on a 100%

Semper Fi Devil Dog.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:19 PM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RVM,

While you are at Lowes or HD pick up some of the screw in levelers for a more permanent solution to your building table problem. I do know that these can be picked up there. They are the same thing you have under a washing machine, dryer, or kitchen range. Semper Fi! Ben
Old 03-29-2006, 10:25 PM
RVM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll never forget my code. I was going to try and get back in but then life got in the way (AKA, finished college and got a woman and we know how the Corps is on relationships).

Semper Fi!

I was In from 84 to 91, HMA-369, I was Disharged under the same conditions, Dont make me dig out my DD 214 to look up the re enlistment code though LOL That might take a Bit. However I did find out that Helicopters do Land hard when the Engine stops turning the Blades. I am Now Retired on a 100%

Semper Fi Devil Dog.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RVM- I haven't met anybody that flies in Miss. Wish I could help. Did you try on the AMA website? They list AMA clubs.

Saramos- that gave me an idea as we don't have Costco stores here. I have a lot of those heavy plastic shelves that have the pvc pipe supports. They go together in minutes and are about $15 in Walmart or Kmart. I can make quite a few at the same height as your metal ones. Never thought of that before. Those should be very sturdy.

RCPilet- I see your building table, a plane, and skill saw, tape measure, and crescent wrench. Do you build with those tools???
Old 03-31-2006, 08:19 AM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I picked up two "slightly imperfect" (their description) unfinished under counter kitchen cabinets at a local discount cabinet place. Mounted a solid core door on them. I build with magnets so I put my mag building boards on the door. Works like a charm, workbench is at the right height plus each of the under counter cabinets has four drawers for storing "stuff". The solid core door is exactly flat. Only drawback is the door and steel building boars make a VERY HEAVY combination but it is rock steady mounted on the sink cabinets.

Works for me

Dan