Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Remote Fuel Tank

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Remote Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:49 PM
mduslick
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Fuel Tank

Hi all! Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, using an Iron Bay fuel regulator and a remotely located primary fuel tank? I'm working on a future kit bashing (Northstar) and would greatly appreciate any input.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:58 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Remote Fuel Tank

Can’t help with the regulator but maybe the picture will trigger some ideas.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76968.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	441739  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Bart[man]

Hi mduslic, My northstar kit is due to show up tomorrow, so I have been doing a lot of reading up on building tricks and tips for the northstar. I am using a OS .46 max and will be using a perry pump so I can install fuel tank directly over the CG in the fuse. Im going to use tail pod for throttle and elevator. I was reading something about making the nose longer to help in balancing as the northstar is tail heavy but havent seen any updates on this tip as of yeat. I hope this info helps. From what I have read, the things to worry about most is balanc exactualy to the specifyed location and build light. Good luck. Bart(man)
Old 04-09-2006, 10:07 AM
mduslick
My Feedback: (1)

That's the exact same thing I was wanting to do. I planned to place a 10oz tank between formers F5 and F6 near the CG, and pump the fuel up to the engine, leaving the engine pop free for the two servo's... a Hitec HS-425BB for the elevator using a direct link, and a Hitec HS-55 Sub micro servo for the throttle, also direct link. Other mods... B&D pneumatic gear, only two servos up front (nosegear/throttle and aileron), and removable stab/upper fin to access servos in engine pod (I read that tip in another posting, but can't remember which one). As for power, I was going to try the Tower Hobbies .46

Hopefully, I'll finish building my Top Flight Contender in a few weeks and will be able to start on the NorthStar, so I will be very interested to know how you are coming along with yours.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20202.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	441831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92235.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	441832  
Old 04-09-2006, 12:35 PM
rcalfred

Yes, I installed two of Iron Bays' regulators in a Cessna UC-78 model. There wasn't room enough in the nacelles for fuel tanks, so I put the tanks in the wing root. System works great. Excellent fuel flow and control. Model has two Irving .39s Regards.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:32 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

rcalfred

I just installed an Iron Bay fuel pump on my Northstar powered with an OS 50. Finally got the bugs out and it works fine. Found the check valve had no check in it. They sent me a new one.
K.O.