Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

HUGE PROBLEM... I think I broke my block

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HUGE PROBLEM... I think I broke my block

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 PM
jim.thornton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUGE PROBLEM... I think I broke my block

I have just rebuilt my OS .46 FX Max.

I had put some rubber gasket maker on and I just tightened the bolds (4) which cover the back of the block. The problem is, when I was tightening the top-left bolt (looking at the back), I over tightened it and it is now turning loosely. It is still firmly in there. I thing the bolt actually broke. I'm not sure becuase I haven't taken it out in fear that I might not be able to get it back.

Can I still use the engine with one bolt like that and the other 3 firm in place?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: HUGE PROBLEM... I think I broke my block

Sounds like you have stripped the threads in the case. The back case has very little force acting on it, so you may be able to just run the engine with three bolts. Worse thing that can happen is that there may be some air leaks around this corner of the case. This will cause the engine to run poorly. You could also try to drill out the hole one size bigger and tap it for a larger diameter screw. The case is made of aluminum and will not withstand overtightening of screws.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:20 PM
jim.thornton

Do you think that I should try to run it as is and only worry about it if it flops? I think the seal might be okay because I had put some of the rubber gasket maker on it before I put on the back, so it should have a tight seal. Plus it is a pretty tight fit back there anyways.

What do you think?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Yes, I would just try it. It won't hurt the engine. You might be prepared for a deadstick. As the engine heats up and vibrates, it is possible that a leak will develop and the engine may quit. Assuming you're flying a plane that you are comfortable landing deadstick, I'd just go fly and see what happens.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's really easy to just tap it out a little bigger put a new screw in it. Just use ANY tap that you have on hand--as long as it's close to the same size. It doesn't have to be exactly 1 size bigger than the stripped screw. If all you have is a 3mm or a 6/32 tap (whatever) --then use it and put a 50 cent bolt in there.

Thats what I'd do.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:39 PM
jim.thornton

Okay. I'll try to tap it.