Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Re-Coating Q's...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Re-Coating Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:37 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re-Coating Q's...

So I just ordered an ARF, but I was entertaining the idea of re-coating it with my own scheme.
What would it take to remove the existing MonoKote / Ultracoat. Is it hard? Does it damage the aircraft surface?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Re-Coating Q's...

ORIGINAL: IL2windhawk

So I just ordered an ARF, but I was entertaining the idea of re-coating it with my own scheme.
What would it take to remove the existing MonoKote / Ultracoat. Is it hard? Does it damage the aircraft surface?
I am not sure if you just want to change the trim scheme or replace all the covering on the plane.

If it is just the trim scheme, I suggest using a TRIM IRON to heat the trim and while still applying heat, peel the trim off. Then use some acetone to rmove any remaining glue and/or fingerprint oil from the covering. Reshrink the covering and apply your new trim scheme.

If you want to recover the plane, use a HEAT GUN to soften the adhesive and peel the covering off while applying heat. Carefully sand any areas that still have pieces of covering still attached to get the airframe smooth. If you are covering in a darker color than was initially on the plane you are OK. If you are doing a lighter color, go over all the areas that have the color leached into the wood with some 220 paper to remove all the color so it won't bleed through (show through) the new covering.

FWIW - This ONLY WORKS for Monokote. Spray the area you want to apply the trim to with blue Windex, them apply your trim and carefully squeegee out any excess liquid. Let dry for 24 hours, then go over the edges with either a trim iron or Monokote trim sealer to seal the edges down.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input Campy.

So I got a look at the Product Manual online, and it says that the plane is
coated in something called "Oracover". Does anybody have similar advice
for this material?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oracover is the same thing as Ultracote.

What I said above holds true for the Oracover/Ultracote EXCEPT that the Windex trick will not work since it does not activate the adhesive (Monokote trim solvent will not work either ).

You will need to iron the trim down.

One thing you can try...I have never tried it so I can not tell you if it is OK or not.

I have been told that acetone will activate the adhesive on Oracover/Ultracote in a similar manner to Windex with Monokote. As I said, I have never tried it. To me, the big downside would be the rapid evaporation of the acetone.