Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering tips/questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering tips/questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:43 AM
prodigy467

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering tips/questions

Excuse my beginner covering questions. I've done some searching on here and I would like to clarify a few points. I covered a model about 6 years ago an did an average job. I took a break from flying but now I am back and about to finishing the build on a GP extra 300s and would like to do a much better job on the covering of this model. So here goes:

1. I keep reading on here that it is helpful to use windex on trim pieces to ensure that no bubbles get under the monokote. I assumed that the windex would activate the monokote glue, but after a test last night, it didn't. So I assume once the windex has dried you still have to take an iron to it?

2. I found a post awhile back that debated the best material to use as a filler (like to touch up gaps in joints so the monokote comes out perfect). I can't seem to find that post again...can anyone give me an idea as to what they've used?

3. I've read the tips here http://www.monokote.com/monoinst1.html but I feel like there are some details missing. Such as in step 4; Do you just tack down the 6 spots or do you seal down a whole line on the root and edge? If anyone has a link to a more detailed set of instructions, I would be very interested in that.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering tips/questions

1) While some on these boards have had luck with Windex 'activating' the Monokote (and only Monokote), I find it best to seal the edges with an iron or trim solvent after the Windex has dried.

2)Elmers makes a wood filler that takes heat very well. It is beige in color. Hobbico filler is lighter, but melts with too much heat.

3) http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=67
Old 04-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Jimmbbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Covering tips/questions

Some folks on the board have indicated only Windex with ammonia will work... Others have said you can make up your own solution by adding a little liquid dish washing detergent and ammonia to water and achieve the same results... Do a search on "windex method" and you'll have a few hours' reading on the subject

Acetone also works to secure the edges of trim pieces - run an acetone-moistened q-tip or small paint brush along the edges...