Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

onboard telemetry? (altitude, airspeed, direction, etc)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

onboard telemetry? (altitude, airspeed, direction, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:49 AM
adam_jorgensen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default onboard telemetry? (altitude, airspeed, direction, etc)

Where can I find these devices I guess that are referred to as onboard telemetry? You put a transmitter in your plane and you have a receiver on the ground that is a screen or something that gives you live data on the ground such as airspeed, altitude, direction, and any other data it can give? How much do they usually cost? I read somewhere that it would be cheaper to do it with a hand held GPS but how's that possible? How do you read the GPS's data if you have to put it in the plane? They don't come with any kind of separate receiver that you can use to view its data (that I know of as far as aviation GPS's go). To me, it would cost the same in the end if not more. If anybody knows of any place where I could order one, that would be great. But the lower the cost, the better but I do want something that will be able to do all the things I said above, as well as have good reliable accuracy and durability. I would be putting it in a SIG Kadet LT-40. I assume these telemetry devices can go in almost any plane like the LT-40?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:44 AM
guille2006

Default RE: onboard telemetry? (altitude, airspeed, direction, etc)

Tower hobbies sells some interesting items...
go there to search
Old 04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
adam_jorgensen

The only one I can find there is the Eagle Tree Systems telemetry. How good are they? $199.99 isn't bad.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out Mike Luvara's stuff:

http://rcatsystems.com/
Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Just curious...

Of what benefit is that information beyond just being kinda cool to know. It will not help you fly better, and flying beyond sight is just plain dangerous. The desire to do so makes many people very suspicious these days.

I know of some industrial and agricultural applications, as well as photography, but in general...it's useless information unless you are designing model aircraft or UAV's.

That being said, I think it would be cool to see what a model is doing too...especially airspeeds, I have always been curious about how fast these things are going.

Later,

Mark
Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agexpert,
Actually, it seems to me that it'd be really good info for them what likes to compare props and stuff. I've always wondered about stuff like that, and figure to pick up some "telemetry" some day or other. Right now, most people don't actually have a clue about airspeed. And without it, there really isn't any hope of actually accurately measuring props. Sure we can "feel" that one is better than the other.... but.....

It's actually pretty amazing how "real information" can be somewhat valuable and definitely useful. I got a handheld "weather station" a few months back. It does a number of things that I've turned to my use, but to mention just a couple.........

I've been looking at the density altitude. Every time I go fly, first thing I do is check it at the field. I've gotten a feeling for whether or not the needle settings are going to start off too lean or too rich or what. And when it's really changed from last time out, it's sort of warned me to make sure to tell my flying buddies to watch out for too rich or lean. It's saved a few first flights from wasted time or worse. A few of my flying buddies don't ever do a first flight of the day needle reset. Now, I waddle over and suggest they really oughta. At least one of 'em thinks twice when I lay all that BS on him.

And awhile back, we were talking about the "legal altitude" deal we modelers are supposed to follow. We're near an airport. None of us really knew what altitudes we were actually reaching. No big deal discussion but.......... I stuck the weather station in a plane and took that sucker UP. After the flight, we found out what 500' and 1000' look like from our field.

And the little sucker records. And will graph the past recordings. I've got a way not to follow the gust pattern during the day. It's often that a day will have calm periods and gusty spells. And they're often in a pattern. On gusty days, I set the little puppy out in the breeze and watch the graph. Last time it was useful, the pattern was at about a 9 minute cycle. We took off and landed in the "calm/steady" and knew to either stay in the air on in the pits during the minute or two of bluster that would show up about every 9 minutes.

Technology is kewl just to play with. I'm gonna pop for one of them new fangled thangs that sends "cockpit" info back to me.... sometimewhen.....