Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel in car on a hot day.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel in car on a hot day.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Silent J
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel in car on a hot day.

Now that there is a flying field right close to where I work, I'll be able to fly on my way home. I get off work at 2pm, so it's almost ideal flying time when I would get there and set up. Would keeping my fuel in the car while I'm at work on a hot day effect the fuel at all? I know it's best to store it some-what cool and dry, but would a few hours of heat in the noontime be bad for the fuel? I was thinking of throwing a blanket over it to try an insulate it a bit. What do you guys do? Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-25-2006, 04:07 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Fuel in car on a hot day.

I do that all the time. I do not bother with the cover but there is no direct sunlight in the back of my van where I keep the fuel.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:16 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

The fuel will be fine....just squeeze as much air out, ( I assume a plastic container here), as possible and let the container be mis-shapen. This will reduce the amount of expansion and keep the nitro-methane and alcohol from mixing with moisture from the air. Line a box with a trash bag, (in case of leaks), and cover it if you want. It's also a good idea to keep the windows cracked to allow some ventilation, if that is your only option.

Of course, the best thing to do is take it indoors, but some people get all bent about that. Glow fuel is not explosive and is only moderately flammable without compression.

Good luck!!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It'll be fine. I do it all the time here in Oklahoma with no ill effects. And I can assure you that it gets a lot hotter during the day here than it does in Washington!!!

Ken
Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Silent J

Excellent. Thanks everyone. I'm getting anxious. I wasn't able to fly at all last year, and I let my AMA expire[] But a new one is on it's way, and I'll be flying in no time.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a comment. Glow fuel burns easily if a match is put to it. Maybe I am mis-understanding what you are saying, but glow fuel is highly volatile. You just can't see the flames. It burns clean.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Silent J

I understand that it burns easily, but I'm sure it won't get hot enough in a car on a sunny day to ignite. That was one thing I was semi-curious about, though. I can't see it getting much above 100 deg F if the windows were open a bit out here in the Puget sound area of WA, even on a really hot day. I was moreso curious if the heat would degrade the fuel or something of that nature.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem. I was reading too much into the subject matter.
I live in Florida and have no problems with fuel. It does get a little warm down here.
I have left fuel in the trunk of the car with no problems.
Just go out and have fun!