Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Super Chipmunk power....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Chipmunk power....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 05:51 AM
TheoA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Chipmunk power....

I'm about to start building a GB super chipmunk kit. I also have a big stick .60 finsihed. I want to buy one motor that I can use with both planes (since I'm a broke ***** college student)

I really like 4 strokers, but it seems I could get by with 2 used .61 OS motors for the price of one 4 stroke. What to buy, what to buy..?...and why?

Thanks!

this is a GREAT site btw!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:34 AM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

I have an older cg chipmunk. Flew fine with
a 61 supertiger but was not a hot dog. I put
a 90 supertiger in it and I am much happier.

Craig
Old 12-17-2002, 01:02 PM
$ircra$halot

Hi TheoA: I love my 4-strokes and just cashed in a coffee can full of change to buy a OS 91 surpass ll to put on my Goldberg Chipmunk. On the other hand I do not like swapping engines and radio equip from one to another plane. So I think I would either leave one plane parked, or opt for the 2 2-strokers, if they both are proven engines. But thats just me I'm lazy.
Happy holidays
Garry
Old 12-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Bruiser-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default CGM Chipmunk

Mine has a SuperTigre .90 but it hasn't been test flown yet. I did see one fly with an ASP .75 and it was pretty nice. I think it would fly on a .61, but verticle penetration would be weak and definately no prop hangin'.

-Bob George
Old 12-17-2002, 11:07 PM
TheoA

Well, I've found a .91 OS FX motor for 80-90$, no muffler. Would that beast work out ok? Prolly take off at 1/4 throttle, but I bet it would have pretty unlimited vertical
Old 12-18-2002, 03:07 AM
TheoA

On another note, I've also located a .91 Surpass II. From what I can remember (7 years ago), the 2 strokes are more powerful, but the 4 strokers can swing a bigger prop/more pitch. if the choice didn't involve money being a factor, what would be the best motor to go with.

btw, I've never bought anything other than an OS engine, but I'm open to other suggestions!

Thanks again folks!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:54 PM
caf2461
My Feedback: (6)

This plane will fly fine with a strong 60 2 stroke. Mine has a webra speed .80 2 stroke and verticle is unlimited. A strong 91 4 stroke would be a better choice than a 60 2 stroke. Of your choices I would go with the 91 fs. The saito 91 is also good and is lighter.