Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Need building (repair) assistance

I crashed my plane this past weekend and I'm trying to put it back together. All wood (balsa, of course). It's a stick with front of plane being firewall and engine out front of that, no side cheeks. It went nose first from about five feet after takeoff. It's not too bad. The firewall tore out with engine intact and broke up top and sides of fuel tank compartment behind engine. I picked up all pieces (about five) and have puzzled it back together pretty good by just tacking together with CA. But it seems to be a little more flexible than I like. I will use some filler to smooth it out, but I think it needs some reinforcement. Would fiberglassing the fuel tank compartment be the proper way to go? I've never done it, but I'm confident I could if that's what's right to do. Or would a good layer of epoxy be sufficient? I fit the firewall onto the front of the compartment and it fit in real nice, clean and tight, and that helped with rigidity, but I'm still concerned. I have not secured firewall yet, waiting on what I need to do so I can get in to the front. After I do whatever you guys may suggest to fuel tank compartment how should I secure the firewall with engine mount to the front? Epoxy? Will it hold and be strong enough?
    I'm sure I'll have to rebalance after this!
    Thanks for any help.
    Howard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd glue the firewall in and (if it doesn't have them already) use triangle blocks to support the firewall. That should support it pretty well. If the tank compartment still seems a bit weak, cut two pieces of 3/32 balsa the same size as the compartment sides and the length from the triangle blocks to the next former with the grain of the wood going opposite to the grain of the existing fuse sides. Glue it in place along the insides of the tank compartment with some epoxy or thick CA(if the area is smooth). It should be stronger the the original and it will be a lot less mess than fiberglassing.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim,
    Sounds simple and logical. I'll take your tips and do it.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim's got the right idea

I used the same method to fix my big stick and it has held up fine. Pete
    \"Remember, all I\'\'m offering is the truth, nothing more...\"
    Morpheus