Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need advice on sunglasses Who makes the best?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need advice on sunglasses Who makes the best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 AM
BunkerHill
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on sunglasses Who makes the best?

Im trying to decide on which sun glasses to purchase that are best for RC flying. Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need advice on sunglasses Who makes the best?

A lot will depend on the sun and glare on any particular day. What is good one day may not be acceptable the next day.

For excellent contrast and "brightening" (overcast days) I prefer an amber or yellow lens.

For "general conditions" I prefer a grey lens.

With a grey lens, I like Gargoyles (Terminator movies). Beside looking cool, they wrap around so the sun doesn't come in from the side. They run about $100.00 and up (depending on the options), but the lens are impact resistant.

In any event avoid the "photo-reactive" (automatic darkening) lenses. They will not react quickly enough (especially in lightening back up) for RC flying.

For an "all around" sunglass, look at shooting sun glasses with interchangeable lenses. The better ones will also tell you which lenses are preferred for different conditions and situations. Many online stores (Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, etc.) carry them. I am not sure of the availability this time of the year, however, they are readily available in the fall when the hunting season starts.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

I wear Elvex Triad Polarized Safety Glasses.
They are AWESOME! I have let 3 guys fly with them.
All 3 told me to order a set for them. They are affordable, stylish and offer impact protection that most leading brands don't.

I used to get headaches at airshows and at the flying field from looking up and squinting.
Since I started wearing polarized sun glasses 10 years ago,I have not had a headache from being in the sun all day.
I won't wear a pair of non-polarized sun glasses.
The Elvex glasses cut out 99.9% of the UV rays and reduces glare to the point that you don't even notice it!

Heres the link:

http://www.safetyglassesinc.com/Safe...afety-Glasses/

If you get them, you will love them!
Doug

Old 05-22-2006, 11:50 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

oakley half jackets for me.. You can buy differant lens for them. Depending on the day. Cost me around $175 for 2 differant sets of lenses
Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Textanker

I agree with the above poster about Oakley.

I have used them for years and won't wear anything else. The Half-Jackets are great. You can replace the lenses, which is especially important for a dumb#$@ like me that scratches the lenses. It just means that I don't have to buy a complete new set of glasses. I also like the M-Frames, but i don't wear them unless I am shooting or on duty; they just look to "bubba-mullet" unless you are in uniform.

I just spent a year in Iraq, and the Oakley's probably saved my left eye.

Once again, love 'em. A lot.

http://oakley.com/brochures/eyewear/half_jacket/

http://oakley.com/brochures/eyewear/m_frame/

They aren't the most expensive, but they are very comfortable, and the lenses are very tough.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM
redfox435cat

this is another toyota/honda os/saito argument. Get what looks good to ya. For me sunglasses aren't cheap no matter what with a perscription. On the other hand I can write them off since they are required to do my job and double as saftey glasses So the 300 bucks doesn't sting as bad
Black avantes
Old 05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And if you're wearing prescription sunglasses, you can either use the goggle-type to go over your regular glasses, or do like I do, and order them with anti-UV, anti-glare, and anti-scratch coatings. Add the small clip-on shades for the outside edges to prevent peripheral glare.

Be aware, though, that with high-quality optics, the coatings are usually not inexpensive.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:52 AM
rcfury

Amen textanker!!! Afghanistan for me. Hunters from the sky AIRBORNE
Old 05-24-2006, 05:49 PM
agexpert

Oakley makes excellent glasses. I have a pair that is 5 years old and still perfect. I wear them as safety glasses, although they are not rated as such. Just get a good set of shooting glasses if you want to be on the cheaper side, and if you go with oakleys or gargoyles, select lenses that are polarized and not too dark.

Later,

Mark
Old 05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I prefer polarized lenses to fly. I have a set of Oakleys now but have had others in the past.

David
Old 05-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

You will get about as many opinions as you get answers on this. If you are non prescription then glasses like Serengetti drivers,Oakley, Maui Jim all do a bang up job. I use Serengetti Drivers and Zurich gray lenses. I use the Zurichs at fly ins to face off against the morning sun. They help minimize silhouetting On warbird paint schemes.
They also fit over prescription glasses.
In the end no really good lense is going to be inexpensive so look at it as a long term investment and something to help hide that startled look when things don't go right.[8D]
ORIGINAL: BunkerHill

Im trying to decide on which sun glasses to purchase that are best for RC flying. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:50 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I took your advice and got my new Oakley half-jackets today and I love them! Great advice by rcfury. These are awsome looking and great fitting glasses. Just wanted to say thanks for the recommended product.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:34 PM
rcfury

No prob... I enjoy these sunglasses alot.. What color frames you get? What lenses?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:17 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Dark black frames and lenses. I forget the actual name of the color of lens.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:15 PM
bldrums

Zurich
Old 05-26-2006, 05:38 PM
wc524

You people talk about Oakley like they are of high quality. I fly with MAUI JIM SUNGLASSES. Sure they are a little more expensive than most glasses, but they have the highest quality material and clarity is the highest rated of any glass eyewear manufaturer. Visit [link]http://www.mauijim.com[/link] for more information and why you should buy Maui Jim's over any pair of Oakley. I've owned several pair of Oakley's and I will NEVER go back after owning a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Textanker

I have heard that Maui Jim's are really good, too. But do they make any models that you can replace the lenses if scratched/broken? I looked at the website and didn't see any, but I might have missed them.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 PM
wc524

Not that I know of, but I sent my pair in about a year ago because I had a bridge break because I sat on them and Maui Jim returned them within the next week with a brand new case and everything repaired. Having nice glasses means taking care of them, so dropping them is not an option. Like my father always says, "If they are not on your face, then they should be in the case!"
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 AM
chris_in_montreal

I picked up a pair of NYX "carbon" frames recently (search for NYX golf on google) and for $45 i was really impressed with the quality. They come with three interchangeable lenses, i went for the dark gray, medium gray and amber combo but there are other lens sets too. So far i am very happy with them, they wrap around so i don't get glare in the peripheral vision and block wind nicely too. I also took the prescription lens insert they offer for the frames and although a bit pricey they really are excellent.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Flylow

Don't laugh - check Wal-Mart. Two others I know have bought them also. You can get "regular" style or over glasses style with side coverage and polarized for under $20. They are very clear and work great for us.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:23 AM
RVM

Any Maui Jim sunglasses, or Ray Ban, or Oakley, or any of the other good name brands.

Just make sure you get polarized lenses. Makes a HUGE difference.

ORIGINAL: BunkerHill

Old 06-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Bob Yeager

Another Vote for Oakley Half Jackets, with polarized prescription lenses. I don't even know what I did with my Bausch and Lombs after I started wearing the Oakleys. Oakley customer suport is "beyond the call"! [8D]
Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
jzinckgra

Another Vote for Oakley Half Jackets, with polarized prescription lenses.
How do you order them with the RX lenses and what color lens did you get?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Bob Yeager

You have to order them direct through Oakley. I got the darkest black that they make. Be prepared to get stabbed on the price, but Oakley has you "over a barrell"![] I tried several different labs, but it seems that noone but Oakley can make the lenses, due to the special little "hook" that locks the lens in the frame.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
jzinckgra

You have to order them direct through Oakley. I got the darkest black that they make. Be prepared to get stabbed on the price, but Oakley has you "over a barrell"! I tried several different labs, but it seems that noone but Oakley can make the lenses, due to the special little "hook" that locks the lens in the frame.
I went and ordered some today.I tried some on and immediately they fit to my face very well. I ended up ordering the black frames with black iridium prescription lenses. Total price was $315[X(]. Obviously that is a crap load of money for sunglasses, but my employer reimburses me the full price. Plus, I can use them for driving (I am near sighted) and cycling. They said it would take 2-3 weeks to get. Can't wait to try out at the field.

Oh yeah, if I wanted polarized lenses, it was an extra $100. I said no thanks to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.