Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

powel panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:09 AM
pejuve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powel panel

Hi, I bought a year ago a TW power panel, so I decided to get for this fly season a glow plug clip, but when I hooked it on the panel an try it with a plug nothing happened, I cheeked it using my voltmeter and I had a lecture of 1.7 volt. Do you guys have any idea what is wrong with it?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: powel panel

At 1.7 V, you likely burned out the glowplug. You shouldn't lite the plug with anything over 1.5 V. Actually, 1.2 V is more like it, but most can tolerate the voltage of a typical Alkaline Cell (1.5 V). Turn the V down (if it's variable). If it's not variable, then you probably won't be able to use it. There are higher voltage glow plugs, but I'm talking about the run-of-the mill OS 8's and such...
Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM
pejuve

You are right, but I moved the knob and the voltage got down, but still when I hook the glow plug it does not get red.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Note that the glow plug connection on most power panels does not put out 1.2 volts, it puts out a 12 volt pulse 1 millisecond long follwed by about a 10 millisecond period of "no output". The average is then about 1.2 volts. You can not measure this with a voltmeter, it requires an oscilloscope to see what is happening. when you turn the dial, you are just varying the duration of the 1 millisecond pulse a bit to increase or decrease the average voltage. It is easy to burn out a glow plug if you increase this pulse width to much.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:08 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

After hooking up the glow plug to the clip, did you turn the dial back up to see if it would warm up?
Rodney is right about measuring it with a multimeter--it won't work because of the nature of the beast. However, the glow plug should light up when hooked up properly--unless the glow plug is already bad. Try another plug. Could be a bad panel. My panel stopped lighting glow plugs about 7 or 8 months ago. I still use the other features on it, though. Don't exactly know what happened, but probably had something go wrong in the circuitry or something.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:00 PM
pejuve

[b]Rodney thanks for the explication, I did not know about how it works, and 2slow2matter probably it is happened to my power panel simply it does not work with the glow plug.
Thanks for the replies