Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Adding fuel line filters ...

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Adding fuel line filters ...

Old 05-30-2006, 08:47 AM
kolban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding fuel line filters ...

Folks,
A chap at my RC field suggested that I place fuel line filters between the tank and the engine and the muffler output and the tank. He said that this will prevent 'stuff' from getting into the engine.

See the following for example:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK134&P=0

Well, I added a couple of these between the muffler and tank and engine intake and tank. Now I am having second thoughts. Here is my thinking.

* I have added 4 new 'separation' points where the fuel tubing can come loose from the system
* I have impeded the unrestricted flow of fuel and air pressure by pushing through a mesh
* I have some 'pieces of metal' now behind the prop/engine that must be getting rattled around something fierce.

So .. my question ... are y'all using these things? How many of us actually put fuel filters inline? Are they worth it? Any problems or saves caused by using these?

Neil
Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adding fuel line filters ...

ORIGINAL: kolban

Folks,
A chap at my RC field suggested that I place fuel line filters between the tank and the engine and the muffler output and the tank. He said that this will prevent 'stuff' from getting into the engine.

See the following for example:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK134&P=0

Well, I added a couple of these between the muffler and tank and engine intake and tank. Now I am having second thoughts. Here is my thinking.

* I have added 4 new 'separation' points where the fuel tubing can come loose from the system
* I have impeded the unrestricted flow of fuel and air pressure by pushing through a mesh
* I have some 'pieces of metal' now behind the prop/engine that must be getting rattled around something fierce.

So .. my question ... are y'all using these things? How many of us actually put fuel filters inline? Are they worth it? Any problems or saves caused by using these?

Neil
Neil,

the seperation points can be taken care of. Just use small wire ties (zip ties) on each location. This is pretty common, especially on gas engines to have a filter on the tank to carb line. We also use a "T" fitting in the same line for filling. I also use fileters on my glow engines but I have never seen or heard of someone doing it on the muffler to tank line although I can see the benefits of it.

The impeded flow is a lot less than what you think. It will aonly be impeded if they get plugged by debri. There are other filters I use that are see through but they are a bit longer than the example you gave.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU76&P=7

You can see the fuel and any debri.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:37 AM
touch and go
My Feedback: (11)

Neil, its a matter of opinion--knowledgable people disagree on the issue. I'm with you, however, and do not use any filter between the tank and the carb. The fuel should be filtered, of course, but for that I use a filter on the bottom of the pick up line when the fuel is pumped into the plane. One thing that an inline filter can sometimes do is leak air that will likely cause the engine to not run properly; this problem is usually fixable but its just another potential problem that can be avoided by eliminating inline filters.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Touch and go on this subject.
Likewise, I filter my fuel BEFORE it gets
into the plane.

Regards
Roby
Old 05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, I don't bother with In-Line fuel filters - With the only exception being my YS engines.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

kolban, I don't like the type of filter in your link. The rubber seal on those tends to swell. The one that Bubbagates showed the link to is much better at not leaking.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:28 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Follow the "Kiss pinciple"....Keep things simple stupid!
Filter fuel when you tank your plane and use a big auto paper filter in your fuel supply.
Don't mess with small hobby filters on the plane.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 05-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

well I will go against the flow on this one.

I use an inline fuel filter on all my planes. I have never had any problem with a filter coming loose, leaking air, etc. I do clean them on occasion and often find junk in them even though I have a filter on my fuel can.

I havent seen any drawbacks to using them and they seem like cheap insurance to me.

I dont see much use in putting them between the engine and muffler. That pressure is going out and not into the engine. When the engine is not running I think it would be pretty hard for dirt to make it through the muffler, down through the tubing and into the engine. If you are worried about that I think it would be more pratical just to cover the end of the muffler when the engine is stored.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:38 AM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Gringo Flyer,
It is BECAUSE the exhaust is going to the fuel tank that a filter helps. Filtering the fuel before filling the tank is good but if you turn around and are blowing dirty oily exhaust in the tank you negate some of the advantage of prefiltering. For you doubters, go look at the condition of your exhaust tubing, and older fuel tanks. Trash in the tank cause more flameouts and poor running that fuel lines coming off. Besides a wire tie or fuel line clip will prevent that.
That's my opinion anway
Mmike
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used filters since back before the Civil Wawah. And I've helped newbies cure engine running problems with filters since then too.

But times have changed. Heck, we even got electricity now, don't most of us!

Fuel used to be 100% castor and cheap castor would create flakes in the fuel. They'd clog your fuel line where it fitted over the needle valve fitting etc etc. But after you started running a filter, almost everyone would find all manner of crud in their filters when they maintenanced them.

So I've continued to use filters.

And sometimes having a filter close to the needle valve would give smoother running. The "resevoir" effect was what did it, or maybe it was that the filter screen broke up bubbles. whatever it was, it sometimes helped.

There is an argument that putting filters in the lines causes failures when the tubing slips off. There are some techniques in our craft that require some learning. I guess sticking a fuel line onto a fitting just might challenge some people. If it does you, then practice it at home before trying it on your model. But nowadays, most fuel filter fittings are sized to hold our modern silicone line very securely..... that is, if you're adept enough to be able to get the tubing over that fitting....

There is also an argument that a filter is going to clog up and your plane will flame out. Jeez..... So there actually is junk that will get to your needle valve and shut down your engine, since the filter mesh is usually about the same opening size as a needle valve. Wouldn't you like to catch that junk as it's accumulating? That's why I use see-through filters. And why I backflush them every so often.

And there is even a somewhat prominent engine mfg that advises you use a filter to kill the bubbles to the engine....

So I use them.

But it does seem to be an issue that some get really passionate about. Kewl.... we oughta be passionate about stuff that means a lot to us.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:37 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I've never used filters on my planes before, but I'm considering using one now for my 4-stroke muffler tap. A lot of junk is getting into the tank from the muffler. This seems to happen only with 4-strokes. I guess the 2-stroke exhaust is not as hot.

How has using a filter in the pressure line worked out for you all? Do you notice that the tank stays cleaner?