Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Prop Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Hubs

Well, I've done google searches, surfed the net, but can't come up with an alternative supplier for prop hubs and nuts of the type that Tru Turn supplies. They are good products (I have onoe already) but Tru Turn's prices are high and service is non existent. I've sent three emails but no reply.

Does anybody know of any other company that supplies hubs of the type that Tru Turn manufactures??

Any info will be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:46 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Prop Hubs

This one from OS is the closest I have seen.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCC41&P=0

[[[edit]]]
more from OS
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=QKC&V=OSM
Old 06-04-2006, 09:49 PM
carrellh

forgot about this one
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL724&P=0

[[[edit]]]
More Higley stuff
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=QKC&V=HIG
Old 06-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Thanks Carrellh. I did a Tower search and all it came up with was TruTurn.

I really prefer theTru turn appearance, as they have a sort of 'collar at the base, but may have to compromise. They're asking about US$17 per hub, and then for an RCV engine (this is a twin engine aircraft) there are TWO nuts at almost $9 each, plus US$20 postage to Australia, or any international destination for just a few ounces. That totals US$90 just for hubs and that's a lot.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Aviator, look around your area and see if you might find a machinist, these guys can do it. I know a retired machinist here who will make spinners for me. Keep it out of the sun. Skinny Bob
Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The machined adapter is a problem but nuts are just nuts. You can look up the size your engine takes and that'd be good to go. I've found prop nuts in Lowe's Home Improvement. All you need to know is the thread size. I took my engine with me and tried 'em on until one fit.

There are also a couple of hardware suppliers in our hobby. They advertise in all the magazines. Their ads always say something like, "Why pay $9 for one nut? when you can buy..... etc" Their ads aren't big, but then neither is their business. And I've seen their ads on these model websites. I haven't done mailorder with any because I've run into them at Perry and Joe Nall. Trust me, they'll stock what you want if it's just hardware, and just might have the machined pieces too.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Thanks guys. I have been looking around for someone locally to turn them for me, but unless it's someone doing it for a hobby, then the cost is even greater than Tru Turn. I'll keep looking though.

I'll check out the "why pay ...etc" places as well.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:28 PM
carrellh

He's not looking for a standard nut like Microfasteners or RTL sell by the sack full. He's looking for this. Tru-Turn is the only one I've seen. There are some similar (links above) but they are not the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85268.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	472797  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 PM
kiwirob

Rather than a prop hub go for a prop nut they are half the price, you can use your original rcv washer and inner lock nut then just lock the prop nut down onto it.

It will leave a gap between the prop and base of the prop nut, but you could machine an inset into the prop nut to compensate if you are really bothered.

Check out www.truturn.com for prop nuts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35998.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	472810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63511.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	472811  
Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM
carrellh

The photo above is a Tru-Turn prop nut. The original poster is looking for alternatives to Tru-Turn. He's in Australia so it's not simple to contact them. He tried email and they haven't responded. If he was in the US I would suggest picking up the phone and talking to the Tru-Turn guys but it's probably not cheap to do that from there. I met one of the owners of Tru-Turn about 3 years ago and he was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately many of the small hobby businesses are terrible at dealing with emails.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
kiwirob

I was suggesting he might try a pop nut rather than a prop hub they are half the price plus you don't need all the additional adapter nuts. By looking on tru-turns website he can find the one he needs then enter the part no into the tower website to see if they have it.

I'm in new zealand so know all to well about the problems of trying to track things down in this hobby.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

kiwi rob, I appreciate your input. The problem with prop nuts, and I think you allude to it, is that they would have to be machined so that they would fit over the original prop nut, and both would be required on a four stroker, particularly an RCV with a half speed prop (vs crankshaft) so a lot of torque.

The Tru Turn prop hubs are ideal, but the cost almost prohibitive. I'll pay it if I have to but would prefer to explore all options first. An easyish solution would be to find somebody locally who has a lathe (and can use it) and have him turn them up for me, but if he charges even 10 bucks an hour, TT would still be cheaper. The lock nuts to take the bolt down the center of the hub would almost certainly have to be bought from Tru Turn though, and with two for each engine at $8.95, total of almost $36, this is not going to be a cheap exercise.

I agree with carrellh that some businesses don't pay much attention to email queries which is a shame. They could take a lesson from Tower whose service is excellent.