Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two Switches

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:59 PM
WaterWings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Switches

Hello out there.
I was thinking about adding a second switch and battery two a couple of my planes, just for
safety. I just want to make sure I do it right. The question I have is. Do I run the second switch
to an open channel in my reciever or use a Y harness to link the two switches together? Or am I way out in left field? I should know this, I think I have gone brain dead. Please help.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Two Switches

Well that's quite a weight penalty. Although it could easily be done, why don't you just check it real good before you fly. Having lost a plane to a battery OR switch failure, (dunno which), I would still not add extras unless it were a Giant Scale or a really expensive model.

Some people use 2 RX's and 2 batteries with 2 switches...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Either way will work and weight is a relative thing. If it is a 3 to 6 lb plane it might be noticed. Above that, you probably won't know the difference. Also the second pack does not have to be nearly as large as the first one. They do need to be the same voltage and they need to have their state of charge checked every flight.
ORIGINAL: WaterWings

Hello out there.
I was thinking about adding a second switch and battery two a couple of my planes, just for
safety. I just want to make sure I do it right. The question I have is. Do I run the second switch
to an open channel in my reciever or use a Y harness to link the two switches together? Or am I way out in left field? I should know this, I think I have gone brain dead. Please help.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 AM
WaterWings

Thank you for your input. The plane I am most concerned about is a Midwest 27% Extra 300 with a Brison 3.2 gasser. I have a remote kill switch for the engine but it wont work if my switch or battery fails. I have flown it a few times, but the safer I make it , the less my knees shake when I fly.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 AM
bhole74

The switch is far more likely to fail than a battery pack unless you forgot to charge it. I run a 6v 3800 mah Nimh pack with dual leads and dual switches in my 30% Edge. Just plug the second switch into any open rx port.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Red B.

Hi!
Red S. has a description of how to use a [link=http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/parallel.html]dual battery / dual switch[/link] configuration on his web site.
Safe and simple!

/Red B.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!"
A much safer way is to use an electronic switch...like this one. It can handle 15A.
Compare it to the medium size Futaba switch in the picture.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96529.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	473777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34747.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	473778  
Old 06-07-2006, 07:53 PM
WaterWings

Wow! Thank you all. I learned something today. Thats a good thing.
Happy Flying