Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tank height

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:24 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank height

Hi all;
I just installed an OS70, inverted, in my H9 cub. The factory tank location comes out ~½" higher, (centerline), than the carb. Is this really a problem? Looks like lowering the tank floor will be a bear!
Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:32 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Tank height

You can always try it and see if you have flooding problems. This puts about 2/3 of the tank higher than the spraybar on your carb, which means the likelihood of siphoning and rich running is much greater than usual when the tank is from 1/2 full to full. Did you lower the engine when you mounted it? I have an inverted .72 Saito in mine, and the tank centerline is about 1/4 inch lower than my spraybar, which is about perfect, and I didn't change anything. My H-9 is the older version, maybe they changed the newer one some.

If you have to change the tank floor, consider a smaller, or different brand tank first, to see if a different shape tank will help. I can fly my Cub for almost 30 minutes befor getting low on fuel, because the .72 will fly it at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, and mine has the added weight of floats.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:52 AM
CB36

HI;
No, I didn't lower the mount. The new H9 comes with an alum mount that surrounds a hole in the firewall. This hole captures the cap on the tank. With the Evolution engine, the mount is indexed to the "7 o-clock" position. I simply screwed the mount into the original holes, penciled around the inside of the mount to maintain center and installed new tee nuts for the inverted position.
I'd be afraid if I lowered the engine, the cowl would not line up. What do you think?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:43 AM
redfox435cat

can you modify the plane to run the engine on it's side with the muffler facing down
Old 06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
BWooster

I think you will have problems with flooding. You can always fuel and start inverted, then it will run fine.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

You just need to run it and find out. Some engines are a little more sensitive to this than others. I would do any major changes in the plane until I saw that it was definetly a problem.

Also another solution would be a regulator. Rather than cutting up the tank bay or cowl a regulator would be an easier (but maybe a little more pricey) solution.