Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine Weight vs. Performance

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine Weight vs. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 02:59 PM
scawein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Weight vs. Performance

General Question:

A Saito 100 weighs 20 oz while a YS 91 weighs 26 oz

Will I get better performance from the YS even though I am increasing the overall weight of the plane by 6 oz. ???

I am trying to decide which engine will be a better application for the Ace RC Staudacher (60 size). I think the Saito 100 may be the better choice due to weight. The plane will weigh 7-8lbs full up. I know the YS touts more RPM, but does the RPM increase "outweigh" (no pun intended) the added weight of the YS over the Saito????

Thanks for any input
Old 12-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Ollie

The plane with the lightest wing loading will be able to fly slower and turn tighter. A six percent difference in wing loading only results in a three percent decrease in air speed in horizontal flight. The plane with the best static thrust to weight ratio will perform better on a vertical line. The force that is left over after weight and drag are subtracted from thrust is available to accelerate the plane vertically.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:42 PM
TerrellFlyer

MY CHOICE IS THE SAITO 100,IT'S LIGHTER AND OPERATES AT A LOWER RPM WITH A LARGER PROP AND LESS PITCH,MY .O2'S.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:01 PM
scawein

got both replies, thanks so much.....

Will the lower rpms from the saito 100 allow for better vertical??? I know pattern planes usually use lower pitch props than the 6-8 pitch I am used to using.

I would like to use this plane for hovering, etc.....but I am a sport flyer. I fly a SIG something Extra (40 size w/Magnum 91 4S) turning a 13x8 APC prop. It weighs 6 lbs ready dry and gives unlimited vertical. I would like to try to gain this same weight to thrust ratio with my new plane.

Does anybody know static thrust numbers for the Saito 100 and the YS91??? I know props make a difference, but a relative ballpark number would be helpful.

This rcu wokrs well, thanks for the input