Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Differential Aileron throws?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Differential Aileron throws?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:14 PM
chall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Aileron throws?

I've just acquired a used ARF and I was checking the control throws when I ran into something I don't understand. The manual calls for the following aileron throws:

Aileron low rate: 5/8" up and 3/8" down.
Aileron hi rate: 1" up and 3/8" down.

Mechanically, there's just the servo and the aileron, so how could you get one value for UP and a different value for DOWN? Doesn't that require some funny mechanical geometry, like a bell crank or something? The manual doesn't say anything useful.

My Airtronics VG6000 has a fair number of features, but even it won't let me adjust the alierons for different EPA's on the Up and Down (both aileron servos are on the same Y-cable anyhow).

Does anyone have any ideas on this? (The plane is a Thunder Tiger - Lazy Tiger, sort of an entry level sport plane, nothing exotic.)

Thanks!

C. Hall
Old 07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Differential Aileron throws?

Two different servos, one for each aileron......... two ways to do it.

Remove the Y connector and connect each into it's own plug-in on the RX. The radio will then do anything you want those ailerons to do. (I just looked that radio up on RCUniverse's product description pages, and "aileron differential" is one of it's features.)

Move the servo arm's neutral orientation by pulling the locking screw and lifting the servo arm off the drive sprocket. Put it back on at something like a 45degree angle. You'll then have to adjust the pushrod length so the aileron is at neutral with the servo arm at that new angle. It's a fairly simple process that is not simple to describe in words. Do a search on these forums and you'll find a number of threads. Some will have diagrams. One recent one asked for the formula to figure out the differential values you get from different servo arm angles.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:27 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have one aileron servo. Use the round servo wheel. do not put your linkages 90 degrees they need to be closer to the top. I'm sorry i'm not able to give a picture but stay with me here. Draw a circle. put four dots at north south east and west. you with me still? now on either side of north between east and west put another dot. so now your picture has six dots. grab your round servo arm and notice the dots. put your linkages in the holes between east and north and west and north.

It really is a lot easier i just can't draw anything and that will give you the differential.

And if your really lucky someone can get a picture up here.

If you have two aileron servos. use seperate channels in your receiver and mix them in your radio.

hopefully i did'nt get you to confused any questions and i'll try and make it a little clearer

Dennis
Old 07-09-2006, 07:02 AM
chall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I see exactly what you're getting at. I'll try the radio first...
Old 07-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Tall Paul

We got pictures..
Moving the pushrods as shown results in this amount of differential.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54245.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	488975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19451.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	488976  
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Paul that is what you call a nice picture.
Thanks
Dennis