Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cox Sportavia Batteries?

Old 12-30-2002, 03:37 PM
pvidrine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cox Sportavia Batteries?

Hi,

I put this postin the Gliders forum, but since it is a question, I thought maybe it would be better posted here?

My son and I dug out my old Cox Electric Sportavia? that I had put away about 25 years ago, from out of the barn. I could not find the battery for it. So, I visited this site hoping someone can help me. But after reading a few posts, I have three questions to ask....

1) Most importantly, Is the attached picture a Cox Sportavia? I think that was the name, but that was a long time ago. It has a 70" wingspan and "JA2123" on the fuselage.

2) Does anyone know the battery specifications? I can always put on a new clasp, but I don't know where the old battery is. Help!

3)Does anyone might want a 25 year old plane that was never flown. It decorated my old room for years before it was put in the barn. It doesn't matter to me, but I realized there may be somebody out there who would really rather me and my son crash a different plane.

Contact me,
Pierre
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43806_23208.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	27432  
Old 01-02-2003, 12:58 PM
AMA-69405
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cox Sportavia Batteries?

Pierre,

Yes indeed, it is a Cox Sportavia. I have one that is very similar to it, except mine is powered by a Cox QRC .049 glow engine. I bought mine on eBay a year or so ago purely for the nostalgia rush... I taught myself to fly RC with a Sportavia in 1980. When I saw one on eBay, I couldn't resist.

Incidentally, the plane is a 1/10th scale model of the RF-5B Sperber (sparrow) motorglider, built by Sportavia in the 70's. With respect to scale accuracy, the model is actually quite close to the original, with the exception of the wing planform... the prototype wing had quite a bit more taper.

Sorry, I can't help you with the battery question, but I'd bet someone over in the Electic forum would know exactly what you need.

Gary
Old 01-02-2003, 03:04 PM
pvidrine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Suggestions?

I think I may put it on ebay as well. So, far, I've been told it's value is up to $200. But offered $150 so far. Don't know what to do.... Never traded with anyone online before. I guess I could take a bunch of pictures showing the couple of marks on it. But it's in pretty good shape. Can I ask how much you paid for yours?

Pierre
Old 01-02-2003, 04:47 PM
AMA-69405
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Maybe the electrics are worth more?

I had to go look that one up... with shipping, just about $100. Mine was in the original box, unassembled, with a very easily repaired crack in the fuselage. It had the decals, instruction book, the whole 9 yards. This was over a year ago, they may have appreciated some since then. In any case, I suspect I could sell the box (fair to good condition) for a significant portion of what I paid for the plane AND the box.

FWIW, I've flown mine a half dozen flights on two outings. I usually wait until there is little or no wind... it does not exactly excel at penetrating our typical Oklahoma winds, even with the little .049 screaming it's heart out. With modern micro servos and receiver, and a 270 mah rx battery, it is just about 20 ounces ready to fly. With a wing loading of about 8 oz/sq ft, it will thermal quite nicely, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a contest-winning sailplane!

Later,
Gary
Old 04-18-2006, 04:47 AM
the mad scientist

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cox Sportavia Batteries?

just wondering if you still have your sportavia and If you decided to fly it or sell it. I have one myself but it is in fair conditoin. I am trying to find my buddy one as well. The one I had just had a two channel set up and the moter just had a manual switch before you launched. The origonal pack was just a sqaure 8 cell aa rechargable pack at 600 mah (milliamp hours) Mine flew just fine with a flat 9.6 pack from a car. Just had to get it balanced right.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:50 AM
the mad scientist

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

since were on the subject if anyone reading this has a cowl and motor mount for the electric version please contact me thanx
Old 05-13-2006, 10:35 PM
KA6IPK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I picked up the Sportavia from Pierre a few years back. I never attempted to fly it with the stock motor and at the time installed a cobalt 400 motor and ran it with a 7 cell A size pack. It flew well, but the original aluminum wing rod failed one day and I ended up converting it to Gas powered because I didn't trust it handling the weight of the motor and batteries that I had at the time.

Here's a link if you want to see what it looks like today. Of greater interest to you is the Gas version Sportavia that I converted to electric. My recommendation to you is go Brushless motor and then go LiPo batteries. I suspect the stock motor and even a modern speed 400 would be marginal, but my brushless setup pulls the Sportavia up at a good 45 degree angle and has a take-off run of about 15 feet.

Here's a link to the other forum where I have some photos:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=sportavia

I had originally planned to prep the plane for the Mid-Winter Electrics Spring Fling in San Diego, but couldn't finish it up in time and also got ill anyhow and missed it.

Richard
Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
KA6IPK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

By the way, you can easily make a new firewall out of plywood and also use a solid block of balsa to make a new cowl; that's what I did when I destroyed my original.