Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Curing time for Rustoleum

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Curing time for Rustoleum

Old 07-13-2006, 11:05 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curing time for Rustoleum

I painted my cowling with Rustoleum Automotive rust preventitive spray paint, cub yellow. I was wondering how long it will take for it to be fully cured so I can fly the plane. I hope it is fuel proof because Lustercoat clear eats the paint. If it is ok with only burnt fuel it will be Ok because raw fuel will not come in contact with it because I installed a fuel fill in the fuselage behind the cowling an inch. I also installed a DuBro exhaust defector so the burnt fuel shouldn"t hit it either I use Byron 10 % nitro and 18 % mix with castrol and sinthetic if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input!!!
Gibbs
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Curing time for Rustoleum

I think I would wait at least a week. Two weeks would be better. Wipe it off after every flight for a month. After that, it is just about as fuel proof as anything else.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 AM
onepern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
This is some info i got from Rustoleum. but Id thank with simple care like you are taking a week should be fine.
Danny

I have used the Stops Rust Protective Enamels on both Monocoat and Ultracoat with good results .Make sure the covering is cleaned well with rubbing alcohol then scuffed well with 0000 steel wool. I do not recommend using the Rust-Oleum Clears. I have used both the Monocoat and the Ultracoat clears over the Stops Rust products with good results. I have run up to 15% nitro without any problems with the coating. Make sure you allow the finish to completely cure (can take up to a month depending on the conditions) before firing the engine up. http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=18&SBL=1

Safe landings
Jon B.
Product Support Group
Rust-Oleum Corporation 11 Hawthorn Parkway Vernon Hills, IL 60061 Ph (877) 385.8155 Fax (847) 816.2330 MSDS:www.rustoleum.com VirtualSolutions
Old 07-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A week or two would do. I use it on glass work, ultracoat, and solartex. Yellow and red on my decathalon take a beating since its right at the exhaust and its still fine. I have used yellow, red, black, white, blue and grey. The grey needed a longer time to cure, about a month. Then it held up ok on the bottom of a tf corsair with ultracoat. Dont use it under cowl mountings. It WILL rub off due to vibration.
Edwin