Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

There has to be a better way? Canopy fit

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

There has to be a better way? Canopy fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
GBL
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There has to be a better way? Canopy fit

After cutting a canopy, what is the best way to sand or trim to final finished size? I have been cutting with a curved trimming scissor and trying to sand to final fit. Maybe the paper on by sanding block is too fine? Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Spitfire222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: There has to be a better way? Canopy fit

Have you tried a Dremel tool with a sanding drum? If you secure the canopy and are careful, a Dremel will make short work of any sanding jobs on that kind of material. If you are going to use a Dremel, experiment and practice on a scrap piece that you cut off to find the right pressure to apply and the right speed on the Dremel.

Either that, or cut really close with the scissors and, starting with coarse sandpaper, sand to the edge using progressively finer sandpaper. In either case, it will require patience. Its usually the case that to get good results on anything, you are going to have to put in some time and effort for a good final job.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: There has to be a better way? Canopy fit

Some plastic canopies carve great. I often do the final trimming with an Xacto. Do NOT try to move the knife fast or with lots of power, because some of it will resist and then LET GO...... once the cut is started, continuing takes almost ZERO force....... so you start adding strength to get the cut started, and it won't give, and you add more, and it won't give, and you add more, and the bloody knife slashes right through the entire canopy, your other hand, the arm of the chair you're sitting in and the table leg beside it and into the wall............. So, I take small cuts and am very controlled doing it.