Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

servo position

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 01:21 AM
spool-it-up
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo position

Want to change from stip ail, control to seperate servos for each ail. Rule for positions? can you place them anywhere.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:11 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default servo position

Don't know if there is a 'rule', but usually the servo is placed about 1/2 the length of the aileron.

Jerry
Old 02-02-2002, 06:19 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default My opinion....

I don't think it's that extremely critical. If you were using standard torque rods then stress was delivered all at one end. Anything will enhance it at that point. I've got planes both ways, and have changed a few over. You will definately get better performance, as there will be 2 servos now doing the work that one did, and each one will have load placed evenly.
You might measure distance to the point you want to mount servo, and check the leads to see if you will need an extension. Move it in to the point that you won't need to run an extension to exit the wing with servo lead. Depending on wing you should be able to get leads all the way to exit in middle of wing, and still have servo horn 1/3 of the way or more from center of wing. I'm going to assume it's a 40 to 60 size plane. Any bigger and you'll need leads anyway, at that point center it on aileron. This is one of the best upgrades you can do here. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:41 AM
spool-it-up
My Feedback: (10)

Default servo position

Thanks for the info yes it is a 40 size and it flys great but roll rates are a litlle slow and dual servos might enhance the handling that is what i am looking for .
Old 02-02-2002, 01:40 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default servo position

Have you tried sealing the aileron/wing gap? That alone might make a difference.

Jerry
Old 02-04-2002, 05:56 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default servo position

Jerry,
Speaking of sealing those gaps....what do you use to do that?

Mike
Old 02-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Al Stein

Default servo position

Personally, I seal gaps with MonoKote or whatever covering I've finished the plane with. You can do that by flexing the aileron as far up as it will go and applying the covering to the underside of the hinge gap and adjacent surfaces. Keep your edges straight and you can overlap as much as you want and it still looks good.

I suspect that sealing the hinge lines and adjusting throws -- and maybe even adding some area to the surfaces -- will have more effect on roll authority than adding servo power. Sealing the gaps should be your first move. After that, I'd try temporarily going to a 5-cell battery pack in the plane -- if the higher voltage doesn't liven things up, then adding a servo probably won't either. If it does, add the servo and go back to the normal battery pack; if not, add control surface area.

For servo location, it's a cost/benefit game: by putting the servos fairly far out the wing, you minimize the length of aileron that's twisting on either side of the connection. But that also increases the moment of inertia, which is part of plane's natural resistance to rolling. Personally, I go for connections at about the halfway point and actual servo locations on the inboard side of the connection.