Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Inverted engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Inverted engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:46 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Inverted engine

I'm fairly new, can someone tell me what is needed to mount an OS 1.60 inverted?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:52 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inverted engine

Just your engine mount. Just stick it in there inverted and you should be good to go.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:26 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 7aso

I'm fairly new, can someone tell me what is needed to mount an OS 1.60 inverted?
After watching all my friends endlessly fiddle with inverted engines I don’t do that.

Bill
Old 07-22-2006, 06:45 PM
LANNYBOB

it may require a glow driver like mine does.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:14 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Most guys in pattern use the Perry regulating pump on their OS 160's with no problems inverted. Pump price 29.99. of course if you pay special attention while building the plane to the tank height you won't have any problems. Most problem with inverted engines are caused by the tank height to high. With the regulating pump it will not matter where you have the tank positioned.

Dennis
Old 07-22-2006, 11:08 PM
RVM

You could also run a Cline or Iron Bay regulator instead of the pump.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

7asp where are you in your skill level in flying? A 1.60 is a monster glow engine and goes on a large plane generally for an advanced flyer. Also, since you are wanting to go with an inverted mount I am guessing that the plane is scale or an acrobatic plane and not a trainer or beginner type aircraft.

Not trying to criticise, but would hate to see you lose an expensive plane and engine or do some serious damage with an engine size that is not generally one newbies start with.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM
bla bla

They're designed run inverted and in 99.9% of all applications thats they way you'll find them.
It isn't a problem if you know what you're doing, which you obviously don't. No critisism intend. It just doesn't sound like you are ready for this yet.
Adding a pump is just going to completely confuse you and you'll just become one of the names that hangs around the engines forums asking strange questions because you've completely out of your depth.
You must get together with some local talent that has real experience running engines/flying competitively.
He'll help you out.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:29 PM
7aso

I've only been flying for a year or so. This is my first giant scale and I'm almost finished with it. It's a 1/5 Pica P-51. I don't intend on flying it myself right away. I'm still learning. I had a blast building my Midwest Zero last Summer and this Summer I wanted to go bigger. I love the size of a 1/5 scale warbird. I don't plan on my newbie hands to fly it right away this is why I'm asking questions.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

looks sweet. I wish I had room in my car to carry something like that to the field.

Seems like you are going about it right. That plane is a beaut and is for an advanced level flyer.

Since you are new if I were you I would have someone with experience go over the build with a fine tooth comb at every step. I look back at some of the first planes I built on my own without any input and I cant believe some of the things I did. It would be a shame to see a beautiful warbird and all that investment of time and money to be lost bc of newbie build mistake.

Not trying to discourage you, just encouraging you to get some help in the building and flying.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Spitfire222

2-stroke engines like the OS 1.60 can be a pain to run inverted, especially in the hands of someone that is rather new to the hobby like yourself. When a 2-stroke is mounted inverted, there will be more fuel and oil towards the head of the cylinder (due to gravity), and there is a strong chance that this liquid accumulates around the glow plug and essentially puts it out, causing the engine to quit. A solution to this is an onboard glow driver (that keeps the glow plug lit at all times) and/or glow plugs with idle bars, that help to prevent any liquid from touching the actual glowing element. Have you considered using a 4-stroke, or even better, a gasoline engine? Once you start getting into this size range of engine and plane, gasoline engines begin to be much more economical due to their burning of $3 a gallon gasoline instead of nitro!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 PM
flyguyz

I have run alot of diff. engines inverted, from smaller os 70 4 strokes to larger 2 strokes it is all in the tweaking of the needles. I was told a couple of years by a flying friend, that most all engine manufactures require a min. of 16% oil. Most 2 stroke fuels are 18 - 20% oil content & to use the sig 4 Stroke fuel the red with castor which I did and still do. The reduction in oil helps keep the glow plug from fowling out. I also use a type F plug it is alot hotter. these are just a couple of my thoughts, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN, Plane looks great.....
Old 07-25-2006, 09:21 PM
7aso

Ok so I'm leaning towards a glow driver from the looks of this. Thanks guys.

As for the plane, everyone keeps asking me "When are you gonna fly it! When are you gonna fly it!". I am in no rush to fly it at all. My plan was to built it and learn as I progress. You are correct about making mistakes but the best part is learning from them. That's what makes building so much fun. I'll keep you guys updated when it's done.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
You don't need anything extra to run the OS .1.60! No pump and No regulator.
It will run just fine anyway you mount it, if you just run it on 5% nitro (no more is necessary) a OS 8 glow plug (or an Enya 3 plug) and a 500cc fueltank (preferable a Tettra Bubbleless) mounted correctly.
If you use an ordinary fueltank go with a "Uni-flow" set up for best results.

Some advise. I have flown for 31 years, and you have only flown 1 year and are already aiming for a 1:5 scale P:51 Mustang...that's no good ! You better try some other, smaller, faster low winged airplanes first so you get used to fast, maneuverable machines before you get that P-51 up.
P-51 one might be what many consider "the ultimate thing" but they are no good fliers compared to an ordinary low winged sports model.
It's also very dangerous to go to such powerful engine like the OS 1.60 when you are so inexperienced. I would go with some .40 size low wing models first and I recommend trying
Q-500 pylonracing if you want to become a good pilot, there you can find good R/C pilots and get lots of valuable information!
Regards!
Jan K

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92452.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	497100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79565.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	497101  
Old 07-26-2006, 03:12 PM
jbarnes

Just ran across this topic. I have a 90FX inverted in a SuperSportsSenior (World Models) that has been nothing but a major pain when it comes to getting that engine to idle decent. No matter what I do that engine will not idle for very long before it gets snuffed out. I just got a plug with a idle bar and will try that out. I also lowered the fuel tank so it is slightly lower than the carb. Do these regulating pumps really make the difference between success and failure with the inverted engines? I love the plane but this inverted engine is causing me much stress.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an inverted engine and I,ve never run across one yet that would not work fine. The reason and in my opinion the only reason is poor to awful tank to spraybar (jet) relationship. Get this wrong and at best you've got a poor running engine and at worst you,ve got a bent connecting rod from a careless attempt at starting with a hydrolocked engine.

What most folks fail to realize is when using an inverted engine the tank height (level) must be lowered from what it would be when setup for an upright or sideways mount. If not syphoning will occur and you got problems. When the tank is too high syphoning can occur by itself just sitting on a table in the sun as the fuel heats up and expands. There are a number of operating procedures with an inverted mount that prevents any problems if you got the tank where it needs to be.

If the design of the airplane behind the firewall and depth of the fuse will not allow the tank to be in the proper spraybar/tank relationship then its time to reconsider perhaps a 135 degree or sideways mount.

That airplane I see no reason it could not be used but not sure how far below the thrust line the carb will be. This is what you need to consider and the tanks relationshipt to the carb.

The use of some pump types and glow drivers is only going to mask the real problem and lead to a great deal frustration, but it does not need to be that way. That problem is the Tank/Sraybar height relationship.

John