Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Elevon Mixing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 09:51 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevon Mixing

Gents:

Have my first programmable radio and don't fully understand how elevon mixing is gonna work. Does the elevator always move to "up" when using ailerons? I haven't tried this yet, so I am not sure how it works. The radio manual merely says to check to see that both servos are moving when toggling either aileron or elevator sticks but it does not say which way the elevator servo is to move. And if you move the elevator stick, what do the ailerons do? Help me here folks.

Max
Old 01-03-2003, 12:55 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevon Mixing

As the abbreviation suggests, elevons are a combination of elevator and aileron. This mixing is most commonly used on delta wing airplanes where you do not have a separate elevator and ailerons. Therefore when you move the elevator stick, both ailerons move up or down acting like an elevator. When you move the aileron stick, they act like normal ailerons. By moving the stick in combinations, they act like both. For example, if you move the stick to the bottom right corner, the ailerons will move up together like an elevator and also turn right. Naturally, you need separate servos on each control surface. Back in the olden days, you had to make a sliding tray with the aileron servo in it and the elevator servo moved the tray back and forth, thus creating the elevator motion. Aren't computer radios wonderful! Hope this answers your question.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:12 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Elevons

Don't complicate the function.

-Do a data reset first to make sure you haven't left in an old program. This is a very important function to perform the first time you program a new plane. Think if you left this elevon function in and the next plane on this model number was a normal plane!

-You select the wing type, delta on some radios and elevon on others.

-Then you plug one servo into the aileron channel on your receiver and the other servo into the elevator channel. Most computer radio instructions tell you which servo to plug into which channel. I recall that usually the aileron channel gets the servo in the right wing, but your radio may be reversed to this.

-Hold full up elevator and both control surfaces move up. Down elevator stick and both go down.

-Put in full right and you get right-up and left-down. Full left gives left-up, right-down.

-You may have to play with reversing switches a little to get everything going correctly.

-Don't try to figure out the in between movements, they work.