Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spring Air Retract binding?!?!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spring Air Retract binding?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring Air Retract binding?!?!

Please help, as I'm new to the whole retract scene. I have a pair of Spring Air retracts that worked fine about 2 weeks ago, but now seem to have a problem with them. The return seems to be very tough. When I put them in the wing of my to be completed P-51, the retract won't come back down to positive lock. Actually, it won't come down without assistance. I have a wheel on there for added weight. I sprayed it with a Teflon lubricant, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Can/should I take it apart and do something with the spring. No way I'm going to install those if they won't come down and lock! This is a Model Tech P-51 (.60) with a Saito 100, all NIB!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 12:45 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that comes to mind is if the air is trapped in the retract. The sping airs do not need air pressure to extend, so if the air bleed is restricted or blocked, they will not come down. I have been using spring airs very successfully for years. Check and make sure that the air bleed on the valve is not blocked or plugged. Also spring air recommends that you do not lubricate them. Also make sure that your wheels are not rubbing in the wheel well and the strut is not binding anywhere.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:28 PM
FLYPUCK
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a similar problem with the Spring Airs in my F-16.
I have 1 that hangs up sometimes. When this happens, if I push it further up into the full retract position I hear a pop and it will release. It seems this only happens when I dont have enough pressure in the tank to make it close hard enough that the piston gets pulled fully back. So, you may want to make sure you have plenty of air in the tank. I need a minimum of 100 lbs and only cycle them once. It will almost always hang on the second cycle.
Good Luck. Doug