Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Piper Cub 1/4 Scale Wing Strut Failures

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Piper Cub 1/4 Scale Wing Strut Failures

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 PM
fzxlvf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piper Cub 1/4 Scale Wing Strut Failures

I finally got around to finishing my GP Piper Cub 81" and flew it for the first time (with 40" fiberglass GP floats) with an OS Surpass 70 and it flew great.. After 1/2 tank, I decided to land and when I brought it back to the dock, I noticed that the right wing strut webbing tore (CA hinge) between the strut and the under fuselage mounting screw. I kind of scratched my head, put a temp fix and and flew again. The same thing happened to the other strut now...

I am lucky that my wing did not fold on me.... I did perform a couple of loops (with the floats on) after I repaired the first strut.... After the second one broke I decided I better go in while I still have my plane intact!

Now my kit was about 6 yrs old (sitting in my basement while I have been raising kids ) so perhaps this webbing was brittle and with the water hitting it on take-off, it could of been a weak point.... Have others had this same problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? I am tempted to use a piece of aluminum strapping

Regards,

Geoffrey M.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Piper Cub 1/4 Scale Wing Strut Failures

Go with the aluminum, or a pinned Nylon hinge. But have no fear, the struts are only ornamental on the GP Cub and are not needed to hold the wing on.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:15 AM
fzxlvf

Really? The manual says they are structural.... Are you sure?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
fzxlvf

I guess my other question is.. If they are strictly ornamental then why did they break? I am guessing that the wing was loaded sufficently for them to break so I am concerned that the wing could fold....
Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'f the main wing is a 1 piece wing,,meaning that you glued the wing halfs together and it comes off and goes on in one piece,,then the struts are just for looks...most struts in kits..."foe" are cheap and not very good...my first cub i had..i flew it all the time without them...Rod..
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 PM
fzxlvf

I pin hinged both struts and they are holding up nicely now... GP also agreed to send me two new struts at no cost (considering I bought my kit 4 years ago - that is pretty good customer service!)

Geoffrey M.