Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Paining Iron on Fabric

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Paining Iron on Fabric

Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
anim8ormatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paining Iron on Fabric

I recently aquired a fabric covered .46 size mustang. The fabric is fairly well done but the color scheme is of an airshow type. I am not too into it. I was wondering if anyone has had experience in painting a fabric covering like this. Does it add tons of weight? Should I seal it first?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Paining Iron on Fabric

ORIGINAL: anim8ormatt

I recently aquired a fabric covered .46 size mustang. The fabric is fairly well done but the color scheme is of an airshow type. I am not too into it. I was wondering if anyone has had experience in painting a fabric covering like this. Does it add tons of weight? Should I seal it first?
Painting IS GOING TO ADD WEIGHT. How much depends on the type of paint, how much you put on and the color.

Latex is among the lightest paint WHEN DRY, but it does need to be clear coated to be fuel proof. Red is one of the heaviest colors.

1st, THOROUGHLY clean the plane AT LEAST TWICE. The first time with your regular cleaner, the second time with alcohol to remove any residue you may have missed.

2nd, lightly scuff/dull the surface so the new paint has something to adhere to.

3rd, THOROUGHLY clean the plane to remove any paint residue and fingerprint oils.

4th, determine the type of paint that is on the plane. Unless you are using a latex paint you need to be aware of compatibility - you can put enamel over lacquer, but not the other way.

5th, latex you can get away without a primer. Any other paint put a coat of primer on, then paint.

6th, do a test panel to see if the paint is fuel proof or not. If it isn't fuel proof, then clear coat with Lusterkote clear ([:'(] ) or Ultracote clear.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:40 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If the iron on fabric is 21st Century, then they make a compatible paint.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM
scratchonly

Just be aware that 80 -90% of the paint is behind the CG Use as little as possible to get the job done, and check new balace carefully.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Want a straight line without 'bleed' seeping under the tape? Try this:

1) put the tape down

2) paint (or spray) the color of the paint UNDERNEITH the paint....THAT will bleed under and seal the line.

3) paint the color of your choice

4) pull off tape and presto....clean cut lines!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:38 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Rustoleum automotive primer in a spray can to seal the fabric and then use Rustoleum automotive spray paint to paint my colors. After you prime the plane, your paint won't bleed under the tape if you use 3-m stripping tape and then regular blue 3-m painters tape. Depending on the size of the plane it can add 1/2 to 1lb. of weight. Rustoleum auto paint is burnt fuel proof but try not to get alot of raw fuel on it. If you do get it off right away. Hope this helped!
Gibbs