Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's that smell?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's that smell?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:49 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's that smell?

Every so often some will run up an engine in the pits and there is a special fragrance (not smell) that I love...some say it is the Nitro, others say it is Castor Oil..........I'm thinking it is Castor because I remember when I was a kid at the UC circle, I smelled that same wonderful 'air freshener'.....

So..........is it Castor?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What's that smell?

Yes Jerry, it's castor.

I can't tell you how many times I've considered adding castor to my cool power just to get that childhood memory back!

One guy at out field uses it, and every time he powers up in the pits, I feel like I'm 7 yrs old again [&:]
Old 08-08-2006, 11:14 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel like I'm 7 yrs old again"

Aren't you????
Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Castor! I love that smell.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the smell too BUT I"m not a fan of the smell after inhaling it for a while.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Quite a different aroma
Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 AM
fokker20planes

A huge Indy car friend of mine swears it's a Methanol smell. Which is what Indy cars burn. I really don't care. I just like the smell too.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:51 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
No it's Castor oil fumes. I love it
Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
MinnFlyer

Damn, ya got me thinkin' about it... now I gotta go out and get some.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Methanol has no oder, nitro has a faint almond oder. Some full scale racing oil are castor or a blend of castor and other oils so that may be what your friend smelled. I once had a friend who thought nitro smelled like a cross between burned rubber and bleach. I had to explain to him that (back then) they put a puddle of water, bleach, and rosin for the tires to burn through. Thus cleaning them and heating them. That is what he smelled. You can smell the nitro if you go in the pits of the fuel dragsters and funny cars. They do not smell like our castor based fuel burning. Our synthetic oil smells a bit like castor as well.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:59 AM
JD380
My Feedback: (133)

A number of my boating buddies (full sized boats, w/Merc v-6s) use Klotz 2-stroke oil. Sometimes when we're making a run up a river I'll fall in right behind them so I can get a good wiff of that good 'ol 'Cox fuel' scent!
Some smells ya can never outgrow!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's gotta be the castor. Get behind a plane in the pits using all synthetic oil and you won't smell that aroma. To get an idea of nitro odor, go to a dirt bike race. Smells a lot like 100+ octane race gas.

Oh, as far as castor goes, this might not be much of a problem with the amounts we inhale, but WWI pilots inhaled a lot of it as their lubricants were mostly castor based and they were in a constant mist of it behind those rotaries. Their first thought after landing was NOT "let's go to the "O" club for a drink", but rather "where the hell is the outhouse?"
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get an idea of nitro odor, go to a dirt bike race. Smells a lot like 100+ octane race gas.
??? Nitro doesn't smell like gas and its oder isn't as strong as gas. Last time I went to a dirt bike race they were using gas, with 2 stroke oil, some with castor oil. Now that was in the 70's and things may have changed, but since I don't see any need for extreme speed jumping hills and such, I suspect they are still using gas.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
The Toolman

I use parma vanilla and coconut scents in my fuel (seperate gallons)
They have root beer, cinnamon, cotton candy, bubblegum and a lot of other scents to add on tower hobbies site.

Ronnie
Old 08-10-2006, 05:29 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't mean to say that nitro smelled like gas (it doesn't), but there's an aroma that high octane gas has that is a bit different than regular pump gas. Maybe some of the guys are adding some nitro for all I know; I roadraced back in the '80's and we regularly added nitro to our fuel. The horsepower gains are good for a lot more than jumping hills.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Newc

It actually isn't that high octane gasoline smells any different from 'normal' octane gasoline. It's that the high performance engines that are using the high octane gasoline have their timing and fuel/air mixtures set to peak power, resulting in a lean burn condition and the great smell that is associated with NASCAR, SCCA, etc. racing. This also results in a slightly grey, powdery film on the inside of the exhaust system. The great smell from our small glow stuff is from the Castor oil. If you want to test this, run one of your engines 'normally' and then add a couple of ounces of castor oil (such as from Sig) to a gallon of fuel and run that. You'll notice the difference.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Phlip

If you ever have the chance to go to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome or anywhere else where they run the old WWI rotary engines, you can smell the castor from them. It smells a little different mixed with gasoline than with methanol, but you certainly can tell it's castor.

I can relate to the confusion of odors between methanol and high octane racing gasoline. I've been to several Champ Car races (when they were the Indy Cars) and the smell of methanol exhaust was reminiscent of glow fuel exhaust. (And yes, you can smell the exhaust). But the high octane fuel they burn in the Modifieds at our local racetracks makes a very similar smelling exhaust, too.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:24 PM
MinnFlyer

I've not only BEEN to the old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, got to fly as bombadier for Bill King in his Gypsy Moth!