Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mono-coat Trimming

Old 01-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Kaos Rulz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Mono-coat Trimming

How do ya'll trim your Mono-coat when covering? I'm fairly good at covering, but I have a hard time cutting a straight line at leading edges and aroung wing tips. I've tried the Mono-coat trimming tool with little luck. Maybe I need more practice -- I'm not sure. How do ya'll get those good looking straight lines?

ED
Old 01-06-2003, 02:01 PM
flap

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed,
I have a 48" aluminum straight edge which is the long part of a T-Square designed to mark / cut drywall, this one had a removable"T" leaving just the straight portion.
I fold the excess Monocote around the straight edge and hold it with one hand and trim along the edge of the straight edge.
You could use anything for a straight edge, this one is a little large for some things and I almost need another hand.
There are others here with a lot more experience than myself, Im just learning too, Im on my 6th model and covering is my least favorite part of the build cause it is the hardest to get perfect.
I just do what seems to work.
I hope this was some help.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:38 PM
rdcracer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you look in RCM or Model Airplne News there is a small ad for a wedge of aluminum that has a single side razor attatched to it. I've had mine so long I cant remember the name. It has slots cut vert on the front edge and you just lay it in the surface of the model and put the edge of the covering in one of the slots and slide it along. it leaves about 1/8" overlap that you can iron down. It works great.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Dsegal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

> If you look in RCM or Model Airplne News there is a small ad for a wedge of aluminum that has a single side razor attatched to it <

That is the Higley covering trimmer and it is the only one worth owning. The others are all useless.

Dave Segal
Old 01-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Kaos Rulz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Folks,

I'll be buying the Higley trimmer. I Hate covering; I REALLY HATE jagged edges.

ED
Old 01-07-2003, 04:24 PM
rdcracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm glad someone knew the name of this thing it is really great. Covering is my passion so if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. I'd be glad to give any assistance I can.
Rich
Old 01-08-2003, 03:23 AM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where is a good place to get the Higley Trimmer?

Thanks,
Old 01-08-2003, 02:44 PM
grazzhopper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I saw this Higley trimmer at Tower for $15!!! Is there an alternative? Or a better place to buy? I don't mind spending the money for best bang for the buck, but I wonder about this one. Ah, I hate being uninformed. Ready to cover my first build, and have the second right behind it... Thanks.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:48 PM
AOA
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCM Online store sells it for $15.00 as well....looks like that's the going price.

Here is the url to the RCM offering:

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=products:pd1
Old 01-08-2003, 07:40 PM
den1tjb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After reading this post yesterday, I spent about 30 minutes behind my table saw last night and made my own. It may not be that good looking, but I still have $15 bucks in my pocket! Thanks for the thread.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:08 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you talking about trimming after it is on the wing? I get a fairly straight edge sealed down on a leading or trailing edge, then use a straight edge razor blade and trim right at the under side or top side of the leading or trailing edge or tip. I get pretty straight lines without investing in an expensive tool that will not do a better job. If you need to leave some hang over so you have over lap on the first half you cover, use a finger as a guide and put it against the trailing edge. There are a lot of different tricks to it, but I only use a straight edge razor blade. Get the 100 pack. I throw them away as soon as they get the least hint of a bur so I don't have them tear monokote instead of cutting it.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sharp scissors work well.

I use sharp lexan canopy cutting scissors. I press them against the edge I want to trim and hold the excess monokote I'm cutting in the other. If the scissors are sharp enough you don't need to open and close them to cut, you just run them down the edge and the monokote cuts cleanly as it passes into the 'V' of the open scissors. The lexan cutting scissors work well because their jaws are small and curved so it's easy to trim around corners.

With a little practice you can get very clean and consistent trims. I never try to pre cut the monokote to the exact size. I always leave enough to grab onto so I can pull it tight when I apply the iron.

Jason
Old 01-08-2003, 11:05 PM
grazzhopper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what I'm afraid of...the models I practice on! I'm with you Colorodo, I like the idea, but not the price. By the way, my Mom quilts and sent me an old quilting iron of hers for X-mas. I bet it's a stitch bigger than a trim iron, but not much. I put in an order for two sizes of hot socks, and she said she'd jump right on it. Enjoy
Old 01-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Kaos Rulz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flyboy,

You were right on about my question. I'm looking for the best way to trim after the film has been ironed on. After reading all the responses (thanks everyone) I think I'm going to try two different approaches. I'll swap using #11 blades and use single edge razor blades. While I would use several #11, always keeping a very sharp blade, I think the extra blade width might be easier to maintain a straight line. Towards that same goal, I plan on trying my hand at building a trim tool as did den1tjb. (can't help myself, I'm a tinkerer who loves gadgets).
I presume you folks use these same techniques when trimming around wing tips. Especially those wing tips that are rounded and tapered. (again this is after the film has been applied).
I thank everyone for their taking time to respond. THIS IS A GREAT FORUM!!
Old 01-11-2003, 08:08 PM
JetAwithPrist

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One trick that helps me is masking tape. I apply masking tape to the model around the edges i need to cut before applying covering. Then when it is ironed down except for about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the edge i cut it with a straight edge and a single edge razor blade over the tape. I find that you can press a little harder and not have to worry so much because of the tape underneath, therefore getting a better edge with less chance of snags or cutting the model. Then just pull the masking tape off and finish ironing down the edge. Its also good for trimming. You just put the masking tape down where you want the trim to end, then using a sharpie and a str8 edgemark the exact line you want on the masking tape. then, iron down your trim up to the tape, and use a str8 edge to cut the trim at the sharpie mark (you can see it through the monokote), pull the tape off and finish ironing down. It works for me anyway.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:51 AM
rdcracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been monocoating for many years with just about every trick I've heard of. You can use strait edges and such but this thing is about 2"Sq and can be used 1 handed. I also balked at the price but I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat after using it.