Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Buying from Canada?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Buying from Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying from Canada?

I was looking for a particular big prop which I could not seem to locate in the US. Someone mentioned an internet hobby shop in Canada. Found the prop for $22 Can., about $20 US, which seemed quite reasonable. Imagine my surprise when my CC was charged $42 with shipping! I think I'll consider long and hard before buying from up there. I've bought stuff from Europe for considerably less in shipping.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:51 PM
fledermaus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying from Canada?

Don't know what that could be about - are you sure that the charge on your card wasn't simply an error? Or, did you ask for FEDEX express delivery?

You didn't mention which online shop you dealt with. I have done business with both Hobby Wholesale and Great Hobbies, and both of them have been extremely reasonable. They both list their shipping policies on their websites and I can't see how a $22 CDN order for a single propeller could come to $42 US unless there was an error (or gold-plated shipping).

Have you contacted the merchant to ask about it? My experience with Great Hobbies at least indicates that they are very willing to discuss concerns with customers.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was sent priority mail, which as I recall, was stated to be not much more than parcel post. $18.++, plus insurance I didn't request, for mailing a prop I think is ridiculous. My mistake: get shippin charges before you commit. Yes, it was one of the two companies mentioned. My intent is not to 'bad mouth' a particular company, but to be aware of ,what I think, are extraordinary shipping costs.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
fledermaus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. Well, live and learn I guess. I would not have guessed that the shipping would come to such a high price but perhaps there was also some issues of import duties as the prop crossed the border.

Up here, we have seen the same situation in reverse quite a few times - shipping plus duty costing more than the item ordered from a US supplier. I can see why you were steamed - the only reason I can see for charging so much to ship is "because we can".[:'(]