Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote on Monokote

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote on Monokote

Old 02-03-2002, 10:36 AM
steveg_oz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote on Monokote

I've just switched to Monokote after many years of using Solarfilm and Ultracote. I really like the film and the colours, but I'm having problems using Monokote on top of Monokote for trim. Any hints out there?
Old 02-03-2002, 10:40 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Default Monokote problems

So what problems are you having, is it not sticking, bubbles, or what? please be more specific!!
Old 02-03-2002, 11:01 AM
steveg_oz

I'm getting lots of small bubbles under the film. I've tried *****ing them, but very hard to get rid of them all. Tried iron, heat gun. Same result.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Dazzler

Default Monokote problems

Ok, the best way to put monokote over monokote to avoid wrinkles:
1st Cut trim piece
2nd Spray windex on trim piece, adhesive side
3rd Position trim piece at desired location
4th squegee windex out with card
5th allow this to sit overnight, until windex is totally dry
6th when dry, heat trim with very low heat iron

This is a time consuming method, but it is woks well.Dazzler
Old 02-03-2002, 12:03 PM
steveg_oz

Thanks, I'll try it. Now I'm figuring how to get the trim strip off that went bubbly, without leaving adhesive all over the covering. Any idea's.

Appreciate your help.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Dazzler

You may have a problem trying to get the old bubbly monokote off, what may happen is as you pull up the trim piece the base coat may tear off with it, but if you can get it off, just cut the new trim piece a little larger than where the adhesive is, or clean off the adhesive with a product named Goof off, can get at a home center. When you do attempt to take the trim piece off, heat it up a litlle with a heat gun. Dazzler
Old 02-03-2002, 07:57 PM
2lo
My Feedback: (4)

Has anybody used the Monokote trim solvent? Does it work very well?
Old 02-03-2002, 11:01 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Originally posted by 2lo
Has anybody used the Monokote trim solvent? Does it work very well?
I assume you mean to put Monokote over Monokote (not to remove the trim with the bubbles). Yes, Monokote trim solvent works great. Everybody should read AnnMarie Cross' article on the subject at http://www.top-flite.com/reviews/trimgraphics.html

I use trim solvent a lot for smaller pieces of trim (say up to 2" by 2"). Anything larger, I use the Windex method.

Make sure you have a big fan so you have fresh air to breathe while you're working with the stuff!
Old 02-04-2002, 06:16 PM
airwethead

Default Trim Solvent

I have used trim solvent with good success, the only problem I have is that it sets up too fast. One way to get around this is to mix the trim solvent with ammonia, about 1 part trim solvent with 3 parts ammonia. This gives you time to reposition the trim piece and squeegee out all the bubbles and wrinkles. Let it dry overnight, and it will be perfect in the morning.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:18 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Two other methods I've used....

Use Ultracote over monokote for trim graphics. The ultracote doesn't out gas as much as monokote, so you don't get the bubbles.

Run your woodpecker (or just poke some holes with a tee pin) over the area that the trim will go. When you iron down the trim, the gases have a place to escape.

Iron temp is really critical no matter how you do it.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:51 PM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Below is a method that I came across and copied word for word from an online forum (can't remember which one). I have not tried it (haven't covered a plane since comming across it), so I'm not sure if or how good it works but I am going to give it a try. If anyone knows of this or have tried it please let me know what you think, here goes:

You can easily mix up a brew that will allow you to use the "wet" method to attach your Monokote trim that is very easy to do and will not require any sealing with the iron when it's dry. In an old Windex or other spray bottle mix up about 4 oz. water, 2 or 3 oz. of denatured alcohol, a small amount of dishwashing liquid (about 8 or 10 drops) and about 1 to 1-1/2 oz of Trim Solvent. Shake it up good and spray it on the base covering, getting a even thin coat. Lay your Monokote trim (be sure to remove the clear plastic) onto the sprayed area and slide it around until it's in exactly the right position. Take a soft rubber squeegee (get these at the car parts place) and working from the center in all directions squeegee the liquid out until there are no bubbles or creases. Use paper towels to sop up the excess and then allow to dry at least four hours (depends on temp and humidity). The trim will be fastened to the base Monokote as if it were ironed on and won't come off.