Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Plane ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Plane ?

I am looking for a 25 - 30 size plane (about 3lb - 3 1/2lb RTF). Either plans, kit or ARF. I will be converting this plane to electric.

I would prefer a scale plane, and I really like "UNUSUAL" (rarely modeled/not often seen) planes. For example, in my glow hanger I presently have a FW-56 (Stosser), a Bellanca Airbus (Circa 1930 type), a Lysander and a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk (Sky Farmer). This plane will be for my electric hanger.

I am looking for a relaxing, Sunday type flyer. I do not want a Cub. Something sportier, and low wing would be nice. Either tri gear or tail dragger.

Suggestions, ideas ?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 PM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Plane ?

WOW!,
that is quite a list of requirements! [X(]

Not a problem!

What you have just described is a desire to become a part of the BEE KEEPERS fan club!

These little planes are designed primarily for E flight, but can (in a pinch) be used with small glow engines.

My favorite is the 'Speedy Bee' by Clancy Aviation, followed up closely by the 'NEWBEE" by Page Aviation.

Clancy has undergone a lot of changes lately and now sells ARFs, as well as kits - you'll have to do some homework on him.

Page Aviation only sells kits - I hope you like to build!

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Plane ?

The "Bees" are definately unusual. I was really looking for something larger I could put an existing setup in.

I have a Mega 22/20/2 with a 5:1 gearbox, 80 amp Castle esc and a couple of 10 cell 3300 packs that turned a 16x8 prop. They are that is left of a 48oz - 50oz, 48" wingspan 3D plane. I had an aileron clevis break - that was all she wrote . In the plane it was in it had about 110 watt per pound output and, according to a friend's wattmeter, drew about 50 amps.

I am relatively new to electrics.

Based on weight compared to the plane it was in, I am looking at a 25 - 30 size plane. Powerwise, I don't know if I could get away with a 40 - 46 size plane or not.

I am hoping someone will be able to help out here. I am leery about getting a 40 - 46 size plane (I have seen some decent looking ARFs in that size though) and then finding out, nope it ain't going to fly with that power setup.